Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Jihye Kim <ru...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/06 14:35:15 UTC

how can i start Shindig?

Hello,
I am new to Shindig...
how can I start shindig?? and from where??

I installed Shindig to my server and tested the test-url.
Everything is good.
But and then??
how can I use it??
I cannot find any docs anywhere.

help me!!!

Best regards,
Jihye Kim

Re: how can i start Shindig?

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
Hey Jihye,

Shindig is .. well it's the component you can use to support open
social gadgets in your social network site, however it's good to know
it isn't a social network site, it's just a building block that allows
you to add open social support..

The analogy i've used in the past is that shindig is an 'engine', but
without a car around it thats of little use :)

So how do you use it? Well you first need to already have an social
site, that has users, user pages, etc ... then you use shindig to add
the ability to use open social gadgets to it; That you would do by
creating service adapters to connect shindig to your data source, and
adding things like an application gallery, UI for removing gadgets,
setting gadget settings, etc ..

If your into PHP at all, partuza gives a nice simple example of how
you could build such a thing:
http://code.google.com/p/partuza/

If java is more your flavor, i think there's some examples of how to
connect shindig to an mysql database at:
http://chrisschalk.com/shindig_docs/io/shindig-io.html

Hope that helps!

	-- Chris