Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by sub3 <st...@subwest.com> on 2009/10/20 20:37:13 UTC

Can I set a temporary queue size?

In my activemq.xml file, I like to keep all the queues small.  However, for
one processes that accepts requests & return the data via a temporary queue,
the data might be larger than my maximum size.
Is there anyway to set the size of a temporary queue?

Thanks.

Re: Can I set a temporary queue size?

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
At the moment, policy entries are not applied to temp queues. They inherit
default values and hence have access to all the memory configured for the
broker.
One reason why may be that it is hard to know a temp queue name up front so
global settings will always be in effect.
A temp queue name is keyed off the connection id which can contain the
hostname  of the client. This may be sufficiently unique but would tie a
configuration.xml to a host, which could be restrictive long term.
To make this work, some mechanism to allow the identity of a temp queue to
be overridden (or user defined) would be necessary.

For the moment, Temp queues memory usage can only be controlled through the
brokers memory usage.

2009/10/21 sub3 <st...@subwest.com>

> Thanks for your help.
> But I have another thought. If I knew the name of the temp queue, couldn't
> configure like:
> <policyEntry queue="tempQueue*" memoryLimit="100mb" />
> and it would obey that rule?  Is there anyway to know the names (or prefix)
> of temp queues ahead of time?
> Thanks.
>

> Gary Tully wrote:
> >
> > Temp queues will be subject to the same memory limits as regular queues
> > but
> > there is no explicit size limit. Message expiry (time to live) is
> probably
> > your friend here.
> >
> > 2009/10/20 sub3 <st...@subwest.com>
> >

> >> In my activemq.xml file, I like to keep all the queues small.  However,
> >> for
> >> one processes that accepts requests & return the data via a temporary
> >> queue,
> >> the data might be larger than my maximum size.
> >> Is there anyway to set the size of a temporary queue?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > http://blog.garytully.com
> >
> > Open Source Integration
> > http://fusesource.com

http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com

Re: Can I set a temporary queue size?

Posted by sub3 <st...@subwest.com>.
Thanks for your help.
But I have another thought. If I knew the name of the temp queue, couldn't I

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
Temp queues will be subject to the same memory limits as regular queues but
there is no explicit size limit. Message expiry (time to live) is probably
your friend here.

2009/10/20 sub3 <st...@subwest.com>

> In my activemq.xml file, I like to keep all the queues small.  However, for
> one processes that accepts requests & return the data via a temporary
> queue,
> the data might be larger than my maximum size.
> Is there anyway to set the size of a temporary queue?
>
> Thanks.

http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com