Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by ne...@asia1.com on 2001/10/23 17:09:16 UTC

JMeter Proxy Server config issues

I tested out JMeter's proxy server last night but had some difficulty
configuring it mainly b'cos I think the doc was a bit scant.  From
what I could gather, these are what I have to do :
1. Add 'ThreadGroup' to 'Test Plan'.
2. Add 'Proxy Server' to 'ThreadGroup'.  Accept the default values
where name is 'Proxy Server', port is '8080', include and exclude are
both left blank.
3. Add 'Simple Controller' to 'ThreadGroup'.
4. Make browser point to the JMeter proxy server
5. Access http://www.google.com.

At this stage the console shows 'Miss! Forwarding to
http://www.google.com'.  After sometime, I get :
java.net.NoRouteToHostException: Operation timed out: connect
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect
(PlainSocketImpl.java:323)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress
(PlainSocketImpl.java:136)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:123)
        at org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.proxy.Proxy.run
(Proxy.java:195)
The browser shows 503 Gateway Timeout Error.

I did a ip trace and notice that the 'Proxy Server' did not forward
the browser request to my proxy server(I'm referring to my ISP proxy
server and NOT the JMeter Proxy Server) but instead tried to forward
directly to http://www.google.com which of course fails since my ISP
does not allow connections without going thru' its proxy.  I started
JMeter with 'jmeter.bat -h proxy.myisp.com.sg -p 8080'.  For other
types of JMeter function, e.g. 'View Result Tree' etc things work
just fine.

What did I do wrong?  Let me know and I'll update the docs to reflect
the steps required.