Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lars Ohlén <la...@ohlen.se> on 2005/10/10 20:54:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Multiple Apache 2.0 installs on Solaris

Hi,
We have several development environments on the same physical unix box (solaris 8)
Currently we are using iPlanet that has the ability to create logical web server structure, with the software installed only
once. Each instance then has its own set of configuration files.

Is the same kind of set-up possible for Apache? Using soft links etc?
Can there be some kind of problem in terms of start / stop etc

BR

Re: [users@httpd] Multiple Apache 2.0 installs on Solaris

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Certainly; some products, e.g. Covalent's ERS amoung others, do exactly
that.  There's no configuration from the open source distribution which
automates this, but it's fairly trivial to do if you stop to study the
httpd -d and -f arguments to provide different server roots, different
configuration files, and remember not to permit your locks, pidfile and
log files to collide.