Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch> on 2005/11/02 08:40:38 UTC

Re: Deploying Lenya Publication Version 1.2.4

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, John Pashley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a beginner with Lenya, have managed to generate and edit my own
> publication, and now want to publish it (on the Internet).
>
> I've read through the Lenya documentation, but being a beginner have problems
> understanding the concepts.
>
> What do I have to do?

Can you be a bit more specific?
In principle you have a live area in lenya
http://somehost:someport/<context>/<pub-id>/live/<document-name> as e.g.
http://www.myhost.org:8080/lenya/mypub/live/foo/bar.html

In the most simple case you can access your live site with that URL.

A more common practice is to have an apache in front of your servlet
enginge. You then have to ensure that the webserver transfer the requests
to the servlet engine. That can be done e.g. by the appropriate
RewrriteRules see:

http://lenya.apache.org/1_2_x/tutorial/mod_proxy_and_lenya.html and
http://lenya.apache.org/1_2_x/tutorial/mod_proxy_and_lenya_continued.html

You can also use mod_jk if you like it better than mod_rewrite ....

Jann

Re: Deploying Lenya Publication Version 1.2.4

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, John Pashley wrote:

> Jann Forrer <jann.forrer <at> id.unizh.ch> writes:
>

>> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, John Pashley wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am a beginner with Lenya, have managed to generate and edit my own
>>> publication, and now want to publish it (on the Internet).
>>>
>>> I've read through the Lenya documentation, but being a beginner have problems
>>> understanding the concepts.
>>>
>>> What do I have to do?
>>>

>> Can you be a bit more specific?
> I've tried the following URL:
> http://localhost:8888/icarus/live/index.html
> and this works fine (on the local system) using Jetty as the servlet engine.
> I now want to transfer this to our server, which is connected to the Internet
> (my Web domain is icarus.aero) so I guess my first task is to "build" the "live"
> data "on to" the server. ->Where do I change this so the "live" data is
> redirected to the server and not left on the local computer as in the default
> system?

If you want to do that you can try the StaticHTMLExporter see:
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/HowToExportStaticHTML.
I did not try this usecase yet ....

After exporting your page you have to make cronjob which will copy the
published pages to the Webserver. You should have a look in your
lenya/bin directory. You will find examples there how to do it in the
replicate.sh script.

>> In principle you have a live area in lenya
>> http://somehost:someport/<context>/<pub-id>/live/ÿÿdocument-name> as e.g.
>> http://www.myhost.org:8080/lenya/mypub/live/foo/bar.html
>>
>> In the most simple case you can access your live site with that URL.
>>
>> A more common practice is to have an apache in front of your servlet
> Ok I've downloaded and successfully run Tomcat version 5.0.28 as recommended but
> I don't see how Apache figures in this. I thought that Tomcat is the webserver
> and servlet engine "in one".
Tomcat can be used as a webserver but as far as i know that is not common
practice.
However if you do a static export as described above then you can simply
deliver your site as other static html files. And for that you should
definitively  use the apache http server.

Jann

Re: Deploying Lenya Publication Version 1.2.4

Posted by John Pashley <jo...@icarus.aero>.

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Jim Douglas wrote:

> If my existing website is at
>
> www.xyz.com
>
> How do I set up Lenya to look at my existing files for the site?  I have an
> index.html in the webiste root dir and all static pages in /pages

Have a look at

http://lenya.apache.org/1_2_x/tutorial/mod_proxy_and_lenya_continued.html

With mod_proxy/mod_rewrite you can map the cms server (tomcat/jetty or
whaterver) into your webservers space.

Jann

Re: Deploying Lenya Publication Version 1.2.4

Posted by Jim Douglas <jd...@hotmail.com>.
If my existing website is at

www.xyz.com

How do I set up Lenya to look at my existing files for the site?  I have an
index.html in the webiste root dir and all static pages in /pages

Jim