Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/05 11:58:44 UTC

Re: j2-admin refactoring in 2.2

Hi All,

I just committed a wicket prototype for user browser portlet to the trunk.
Because my gradual learning curve, it took longer than I expected.
Anyway, now I think we can discuss a little bit more on the j2-admin refactoring in 2.2.

If you build j2-admin by `mvn package' under /trunk/applications/j2-admin/ folder and deploy
j2-admin.war to the existing Jetspeed 2 (You may use the existing v2.1.3 system.), then you can
choose a new portlet, 'j2-admin::WicketUserBrowserPortlet'.
You can insert this new portlet in the user management page for testings.

I wanted to finish user detail portlet this time, but I could not. I'd like to work on that next
week. (This year, the Korean New Year, or Sol-nal, will fall on our February 7. So, I'll be back
to work next Monday. Happy new year! ;-) )

This prototype will show the followings though it misses some search functionality:
 - How simply the application can be written with Wicket.
 - How widget components can be utilized and written.
 - How to access portlet api in Wicket application.
 - ...

Regards,

Woonsan

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Hi Woonsan,

I finally found some time to update and try out the new Wicket portlets.
Wow!
Works very well (only Portlet Edit Mode isn't implemented yet) and browsing through the code now very easy to read and understand how all things work.
Although code reduction isn't first priority I can already see how we can build reusable (panel) components with common behavior to be used for other (admin)
portlets too.

Great work and definitely something I'd like to get my hands dirty on too (well, when I find time that is).

One area I think we need to look into is the messaging / synchronization / event handling between portlets / Wicket Pages.
I know that's also not the first goal here, but it definitely becomes more of a target now that we have a much better development model for the core portlet
features.

Maybe a possible solution is described here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-1312
I haven't reviewed that yet though.

Regards,

Ate

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Woonsan Ko wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just committed a wicket prototype for user browser portlet to the trunk.
> Because my gradual learning curve, it took longer than I expected.
> Anyway, now I think we can discuss a little bit more on the j2-admin refactoring in 2.2.
Great work Woonsan!

I've just updated and build j2-admin (with some local hacking to its pom.xml as the treecontrol and gems aren't yet build for 2.2).
And yes, it works :)

But I don't have the time yet this week to properly review or discuss it, hopefully starting next week though.
And hopefully we then have some additional plans set in motion too with respect to how and where we will do further apps refactoring for 2.2 ;)

One thing relevant I noticed while updating is the "fix" you made with r615851 for the JetspeedSerializer implementation.
Just FYI: I've marked r615851 myself as a TODO for revert as soon as I have time to look into it.
I have no problem with this temporary copying over of 2.1.3 interfaces and implementation, but the real solution will have to be different, e.g. proper with
respect to the new JetspeedSerializer model I set up for 2.2.

> If you build j2-admin by `mvn package' under /trunk/applications/j2-admin/ folder and deploy
> j2-admin.war to the existing Jetspeed 2 (You may use the existing v2.1.3 system.), then you can
> choose a new portlet, 'j2-admin::WicketUserBrowserPortlet'.
> You can insert this new portlet in the user management page for testings.
>
> I wanted to finish user detail portlet this time, but I could not. I'd like to work on that next
> week. (This year, the Korean New Year, or Sol-nal, will fall on our February 7. So, I'll be back
> to work next Monday. Happy new year! ;-) )
Happy new year!

> This prototype will show the followings though it misses some search functionality:
>  - How simply the application can be written with Wicket.
>  - How widget components can be utilized and written.
>  - How to access portlet api in Wicket application.
>  - ...
Very cool!

Regards,

Ate