Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2018/10/18 13:49:52 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1844231 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual: ./ faq/ howto/ misc/ mod/ platform/ programs/ rewrite/ ssl/ style/ style/lang/ style/xsl/util/ vhosts/

Please never do this again on the eve of a release, it is not easily
reviewed
and is very inconsiderate to the RM. This doesn't meet the idea of minimal
scope, or the spirit of docs@h.a.o being exempt from backport review(!)

That said...

https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?limit_changes=0&view=revision&revision=1844231

httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/style/lang/fr.xml
httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/style/lang-targets.xml
httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/style/manual.fr.xsl
httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/style/xsl/util/designations.xml

These were sources, and MUST NOT be changed on a regeneration commit!

Changed paths: 458

This corresponds to 454 non-/style/ changes, which have a 2:1 effective
count
to update the map file (.html) and .html.fr.utf8 result files.

However there are a couple other quirks,

httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/mod/mod_ssl.xml.meta
httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/programs/ab.xml.meta

Each of these updated the 'fr' translation from outdated to current. That
could
have been done as a distinct pass.

I count an effective 226 new files, so contrasting to

https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?limit_changes=0&view=revision&revision=1844229

Author: lgentis
Date: Thu Oct 18 11:20:54 2018
New Revision: 1844229

Log:
fr doc : deleting ISO-8859-1 html files.

Changed paths: 226

It is reasonable to conclude that this patch was correct.

As I understand it, relying on the ".html" named var content map files,
there were no further changes required to docs/conf/extra/
httpd-manual.conf.in - correct? It all simply resolves itself based on the
content-language match, and the codepage/charset were incidental.

This looks correct for release, but wasn't how I wanted to spend the
morning. Hoping to save some others from the same exercise.

Posted by Lucien Gentis <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr>.
Le 18/10/2018 à 15:49, William A Rowe Jr a écrit :
> Please never do this again on the eve of a release, it is not easily
> reviewed
> and is very inconsiderate to the RM. This doesn't meet the idea of minimal
> scope, or the spirit of docs@h.a.o being exempt from backport review(!)
>
> That said...
>
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?limit_changes=0&view=revision&revision=1844231
>
> httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/style/lang/fr.xml
> httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/style/lang-targets.xml
> httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/style/manual.fr.xsl
> httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/style/xsl/util/designations.xml
>
> These were sources, and MUST NOT be changed on a regeneration commit!
>
> Changed paths:458
>
> This corresponds to 454 non-/style/ changes, which have a 2:1
> effective count
> to update the map file (.html) and .html.fr.utf8 result files.

OK, I forgot committing style changes before rebuild, apologize.

> However there are a couple other quirks,
>
> httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/mod/mod_ssl.xml.meta
> httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/docs/manual/programs/ab.xml.meta
>
> Each of these updated the 'fr' translation from outdated to current.
> That could
> have been done as a distinct pass.

I committed last changes on these 2 files (mod_ssl.xml.fr and ab.xml.fr)
last wednesday ???

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
On Freitag, 19. Oktober 2018 11:31:49 CEST Lucien Gentis wrote:
> Hello André,
>
> Do you mean I could use "svn mv" to add ".utf8" suffix instead of
> svndelete first html.fr files, then svnadd html.fr.utf8 files ?
>
> I don't think so because it was not only a renaming story.

I know, I did it in trunk :-)

It's `svn mv` and then rebuild. Then you're fine.

Additionally changing the svnmailer:content-charset property of manual/ is a
nice extra on top.

Cheers,

Posted by Lucien Gentis <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr>.
Hello André,

Do you mean I could use "svn mv" to add ".utf8" suffix instead of
svndelete first html.fr files, then svnadd html.fr.utf8 files ?

I don't think so because it was not only a renaming story.

html.fr files were ISO-8859-1 encoded, and html.fr.utf8 files had been
generated with UTF-8 encoding; so these were different files.

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 1:03 AM André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> wrote:

> > > Author: lgentis
> > > Date: Thu Oct 18 11:38:42 2018
> > > New Revision: 1844231

> > > Log:
> > > fr doc : adding UTF-8 html files.
> > >

> > > [This commit notification would consist of 79 parts,
> > > which exceeds the limit of 50 ones, so it was shortened to the
> summary.]
>
> I do like to add a friendly pointer to `svn mv` :-)

It's true, that could work. Does it make sense to stash a codepage rename
script somewhere (manual/build/? /repos/asf/httpd/docs/...?) that will
iterate
the source docs with svn mv's by language and before and after codepage
filename extensions, before the committer invokes build all?  It would
still
exceed 100 files, but the changes would be much more observable.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.

Posted by Lucien Gentis <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr>.