Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Iuliana <iu...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/14 13:47:35 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.23 dont start...

Good morning

I was trying to use tomcat 5.5.23 in Linux Slackware 11 but when I start the
server in console: $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh, I dont have any error, the
page is white and when I see the file catalina.out in logs folder I have the
follow:

SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint
java.net.BindException: Address already in use:8080
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.initEndpoint(
PoolTcpEndpoint.java :298)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol.init(
Http11BaseProtocol.java:139)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initialize(Connector.java
:1017)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize (
StandardService.java:578)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(
StandardServer.java:782)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:504)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load (Catalina.java:524)
NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke (
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:267)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main (Bootstrap.java:432)

Then, in the 'conf/server.xml', I change the connection port from '8080' to
'8090', after, change the shutdown port from '8005' to '8015' and nothing
happend.
I just see in ps -a, ps -ax, nmap localhost and anyone is running other
application in the tomcat port. Recently I remove tomcat server and install
again but nothing happend.
Now, what can I do???

Regards,
Iuliana.
System Analyst.
Brazil.

Re: Tomcat 5.5.23 dont start...

Posted by Kristian Rink <kr...@zimmer428.net>.
Iuliana;

Am Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:20:03 -0300
schrieb Iuliana <iu...@gmail.com>:

> Yes Kristian, I get the same error after changing tomcat port.
> When I put netstat -apn|grep 8080 before start tomcat
> in console, I have not process using port 8080.

What about the other ports used (8005, 8009)? Any netstat output here?

You also wrote you earlier reinstalled tomcat... Can you be sure
there's not a "broken" tomcat process running on your machine? Do you
have some strange firewall (setup) in place on your host?

Honestly, I can't right now think of another reason than the port
already being locked because that's pretty much what the exception is
all about. ;) How does the rest of catalina.out look like?

> How could I Know when netsat replace 8080 with webcahe?
> Can I remove this cache?

That was my fault. ;) Using "netstat" without "-n" makes netstat print
the service name as to te found in /etc/services ("webcache") rather
than the port ("8080"). It's, however, just a matter of what gets
displayed, this doesn't change anything about your running services. ;)

Cheers,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: kawazu@jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771

Re: Tomcat 5.5.23 dont start...

Posted by Iuliana <iu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tomcat 5.5.23 dont start...

Posted by Kristian Rink <kr...@zimmer428.net>.

Re: Tomcat 5.5.23 dont start...

Posted by Kristian Rink <kr...@zimmer428.net>.
Iuliana;

Am Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:47:35 -0300
schrieb Iuliana <iu...@gmail.com>:

> Then, in the 'conf/server.xml', I change the connection port from
> '8080' to '8090', after, change the shutdown port from '8005' to
> '8015' and nothing happend.

Did the same error show up after changing tomcat to listen on another
port?

> I just see in ps -a, ps -ax, nmap localhost and anyone is running
> other application in the tomcat port. Recently I remove tomcat server
> and install again but nothing happend.

Well a common reason for that indeed is that some other application
(web proxy?) is keeping the port occupied. What does

netstat -ap|grep 8080

say? Any chance identifying the process using port 8080?

Cheers & good luck,
Kristian