Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dmitry <dm...@hotmail.com> on 2007/11/25 06:59:57 UTC

Re: Testing maven java web projects?

Would like to test Web based maven java project and use Maven 2.0 with stubs
llibs open source like Junits and etc.
Any advices?

thanks,
dt
ww.ejinz.com search tools

Re: Testing maven java web projects?

Posted by Dan Kigelman <dk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dmitry,

What kind of web project is it?  Is it a website or a web service?

For http-based web applications, I would recommend looking into:

httpunit - http://httpunit.sourceforge.net/
htmlunit - http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/
jwebunit - http://jwebunit.sourceforge.net/
canoo - http://webtest.canoo.com/
selenium - http://www.openqa.org/selenium/

I think HttpUnit allows you to build http requests and read http
HTML.  In that case, I would look into HTMLUnit, which (as its name
suggests) is more suited for testing HTML.

JWebUnit and Canoo are higher-level tools for testing HTML, (they both
use HtmlUnit).  Checking the title, or an option in a <select> takes
much less code than directly with htmlunit.  With JWebUnit you would
write the testing code in Java, and with Canoo I think you write in
xml.  (I've never used canoo)

Selenium is something I've been meaning to look into.  It has a tool
for recording your actions in a browser and generating code to repeat
that.

Hope this helps,

-- Dan