Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> on 2016/09/02 09:02:10 UTC

Re: Firing windows multiple times

I see, I didn't forget about this, it's just that I'm thinking hard.

I think in your case (which I imagine some other people to also have) we
would need an addition to the windowing system that the original Google
Dataflow paper called retractions. The problem is best explained with an
example. Say you have this program:

DataStream input = ...

DataStream firstAggregate = input
  .keyBy(...)
  .window(TumblingTimeWindow(1 Day))

.trigger(EventTime.afterEndOfWindow().withEarlyTrigger(Repeatedly.forever(ProcessingTime.afterFirstElement(Time.seconds(30)))))
  .reduce(new SomeAggregate())

DataStream secondAggregate = firstAggregate
  .keyBy(...)
  .window(TumblingTimeWindow(5 Days)

.trigger(EventTime.afterEndOfWindow().withEarlyTrigger(Repeatedly.forever(ProcessingTime.afterFirstElement(Time.seconds(30)))))
  .reduce(new SomeAggregate())

The problem here is that the second windowing operation sees all the
incremental early-firing updates from the first window operation, it would
thus over count. This problem could be overcome by introducing meta data in
the windowing system and filtering out those results that indicate that
they come from an early (speculative) firing. A second problem is that of
late firings, i.e. if you have a window specification like this:

DataStream firstAggregate = input
  .keyBy(...)
  .window(TumblingTimeWindow(1 Day))
  .allowedLateness(1 Hour)
  .trigger(
    EventTime.afterEndOfWindow()

 .withEarlyTrigger(Repeatedly.forever(ProcessingTime.afterFirstElement(Time.seconds(30))))

 .withLateTrigger(Repeatedly.forever(ProcessingTime.afterFirstElement(Time.seconds(30)))))
  .reduce(new SomeAggregate())

where you also have late firing data after you got the primary firing when
the watermark passed the end of the window. That's were retractions come
into play, before sending data downstream form a late firing the window
operator has to send the inverse of the previous firing so that the
downstream operation can "subtract" that from the current aggregate and
replace it with the newly updated aggregate. This is a somewhat thorny
problem, though, and to the best of my knowledge Google never implemented
this in the publicly available Dataflow SDK or what is now Beam.

The reason why I'm thinking in this direction and not in the direction of
keeping track of the watermark and manually evicting elements as you go is
that I think that this approach would be more memory efficient and easier
to understand. I don't understand yet how a single window computation could
keep track of aggregates for differently sized time windows and evict the
correct elements without keeping all the elements in some store. Maybe you
could shed some light on this? I'd be happy if there was a simple solution
for this. :-)

Cheers,
Aljoscha

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
I forgot to mention the FLIP that would basically provide the functionality
that we need (without handling of late elements):
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-2+Extending+Window+Function+Metadata.
I just need to find some time to implement this or find someone who would
be wiling to implement it.

You're right, the "allowed lateness" feature was newly introduced in Flink
1.1. You're also mostly right right about the possibilities it opens up.
With the addition there are basically two knobs now that can be used to
tune the behavior of Flink when it comes to event-time, watermarks and
lateness. Having a bit of allowed lateness allows the watermark to be a bit
more aggressive in when it updates the time. If you don't allow any
lateness the watermark better be pretty close to correct, otherwise you
might lose data. I agree that this is not really intuitive for everyone and
I myself don't really know what would be good settings in production for
all cases.

How are you dealing with (or planning to deal with) elements that arrive
behind the watermark? Is it ok for you to completely drop them? I'm trying
to learn what the requirements of different folks are.

Best,
Aljoscha

From: Shannon Carey <sc...@expedia.com>>
Date: Friday, August 12, 2016 at 6:24 PM
To: Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>>, "user@flink.apache.org<ma...@flink.apache.org>" <us...@flink.apache.org>>

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,
yes AJ that observation is correct. Let's see what Shannon has to say about
this but it might be that all "higher-level" aggregates will have to be
based on the first level and can then update at the speed of that aggregate.

Cheers,
Aljoscha