Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by deostroll <de...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/11 19:58:42 UTC

adding a file to a working copy

I do a checkout of an empty project

$ svn checkout URL mydir

Q1. So does this make mydir a working copy...?

I try to add a file located elsewhere in the filesystem to mydir

$ cd mydir
$ svn add /home/sample.txt

I get a message saying its added. However the following ends up blank
(shows no output)

$ svn status

Q2. Shouldn't svn status show something here? Why does it not show
anything?

--deostroll

RE: adding a file to a working copy

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> I do a checkout of an empty project
>
> $ svn checkout URL mydir
>
> Q1. So does this make mydir a working copy...?
>
> I try to add a file located elsewhere in the filesystem to mydir
>
> $ cd mydir
> $ svn add /home/sample.txt
>
> I get a message saying its added. However the following ends up
> blank
> (shows no output)

Hmmm... you should get and error. Since /home/sample.txt is most likely not in mydir.

> $ svn status
>
> Q2. Shouldn't svn status show something here? Why does it not show
> anything?
>
> --deostroll

Because sample.txt needs to be in mydir or below it.

BOb