Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com> on 2012/12/26 10:33:37 UTC

Reification?

What is the new thinking on Reification?  I see that the Reifier has
been removed from Graph.  But I suspect that there is still
reification in the model.  How do we cause reification to occur and
how do we remove reified statements?

Identity: https://www.identify.nu/user.php?claude@xenei.com

Re: Reification?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 26/12/12 09:33, Claude Warren wrote:
> What is the new thinking on Reification?  I see that the Reifier has
> been removed from Graph.  But I suspect that there is still
> reification in the model.  How do we cause reification to occur and
> how do we remove reified statements?

There is still support for reification in the API in Model - it's only
for reification style "standard" (which has always been the default ).
"Minimal" and "convenient"

"Standard" can be done with just code - no additional state management
is needed in the storage.  The code is in ReifierStd.  It should provide
the same functionality to Model and the Model-level reification
operations call ReifierStd functions.

"Minimal" and "convenient" (and IMO the names were always arguable!)
both need additional state management outside the storage of RDF
triples.  As we found, this was a lot of the complexity of the old RDB
database layer, and it had a simple DB layout.  SDB and TDB have only
ever provided "standard" as pure code on top of storage.

In "Standard", reification occurs if the 4 triples of the reification
occur in the graph, if there are 3 or 5 (duplicate of a
subject/predicate/object triple with the same subject), it's not
considered a reificiation.  The triples are always visible by just
looking in the graph.

Model.createReifiedStatement generates the 4 triples for the reified
form of the statement, Removal is deletion of all wellformed groups of 4
triples which form reifications of the statement.

	Andy