Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2002/05/02 23:13:33 UTC

IMAP status?

Does anybody know the status of the IMAP code?  After going over the
Avalon upgrade changes this weekend, I was hoping to try to get into
that code but wasn't sure if the code is in any way testable.  Anyone
tried it lately?
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: IMAP status?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Thanks Darrell.  I haven't had as much time this weekend as I'd hoped,
but I do hope to at least start looking into things.  As for the
FETCH/SEARCH functionality, I was thinking about using Lucene to do
automatic indexing of the appropriate parts of messages... had you given
much thought to the search stuff yet?  I'm fine droping the ACL stuff
for now... I'd rather get a version 1.0 out, and hope that we can
refactor that when we have something workable that will attract more
developer interest.

Hopefully later today I'll get a chance to get into the code and prepare
some questions and/or lay out what I think I can start working on.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: IMAP status?

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <da...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 3 May 2002 07:13, Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Does anybody know the status of the IMAP code?  After going over the
> Avalon upgrade changes this weekend, I was hoping to try to get into
> that code but wasn't sure if the code is in any way testable.  Anyone
> tried it lately?

Hi Serge,

I'm pretty sure I was the last one to delve in there.... Unfortunately (for
the IMAP proposal, anyway), I've been sidetracked working on the Myrmidon
Ant2 proposal, which is taking up all of my Jakarta time presently.

When I finished up, I'd done some heavy refactoring of the command processing
design, to break it down into separate classes for each command. I'd also
simplified things a bunch by ignoring the ACL stuff, and changing the way the
namespaces map to the set of mailboxes. This was based on my interpretaion of
the RFC, but is a bit different to the way Charles had it working - I can
furnish more details if you like.

I wrote some tests, and had a bunch of commands functioning, including LIST,
CREATE, DELETE and a couple of others. FETCH was the next thing to get
working, IIRC.

To be honest, if you've got some time to dive in and start working on it, I
think I might find a little time to join you. It's just that I have little
need for an IMAP server myself, and with no-one else working on it to keep me
interested, I sort of let it slip...
--
ciao,
Daz

RE: IMAP status?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
On a vaguely similar note is anyone doing anything with the RMI proposal?
I've been immersed in developing an RMI remote admin application for the
last week or two (hence the delay to the 2.0a3 release) and would like to
move the James RMI admin proposal forwards. I'd like to add a swing GUI
while its all still fresh in my mind.
d.