Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Michael Park <mp...@apache.org> on 2016/01/21 00:45:02 UTC

.gitignore-template

We have a few other default templates such as `support/clang-format` and
`support/reviewboardrc`, and `bootstrap` symlinks them to `.clang-format`
and `.reviewboardrc` respectively.

To keep this pattern consistent, I would like to move the
`.gitignore-template` template to `support/gitignore` and have `bootstrap`
symlink it to `.gitignore`.

Please let me know if you're opposed to this change.

Thanks!

MPark.

Re: .gitignore-template

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.
I think if the gitigonre file already exist before, it should not
affect support/gitignore.

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: .gitignore-template

Posted by Marco Massenzio <m....@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 12:21 AM, Alexander Rojas <al...@mesosphere.io>
wrote:

> It certainly is not unwittingly unless you are one of those who do `git
> yolo` and we should really discourage such dangerous way of writing patches.

​The "unwittingly" was referred to modifying a file that is *actually*
under source control, without actually wanting to do so.

.gitignore is not under source control - it is, in fact, "gitignored" (I
think it's the first line?) and, yet, "editing" it (note the quotes) causes
one's changes to appear in the patch.

Once you do git status you will notice there is something wrong with the
> template.
>
> ​yup -
I think the current term for such a situation is a "WAT" :)
​

> That being said, +1 to add this to the documentation. These caveats should
> be mentioned for newcomers.

​Fully agree, thanks.
​

Re: .gitignore-template

Posted by Alexander Rojas <al...@mesosphere.io>.
It certainly is not unwittingly unless you are one of those who do `git yolo` and we should really discourage such dangerous way of writing patches. Once you do git status you will notice there is something wrong with the template.

Re: .gitignore-template

Posted by Marco Massenzio <m....@gmail.com>.

Re: .gitignore-template

Posted by Michael Park <mp...@apache.org>.