Posted to gui-dev@apache.org by Roman Baron <al...@ibm.net> on 1997/08/09 18:33:10 UTC

Server Template

  Hello all, I wanted to notify u I finished a VERY basic server
template.
 It's a skeleton for the real server, flexible enough to use any of the
protocols we discuss.
 As for what's left, ( Justin can u send it to me? Randy, Harrie can u?
) here it goes:

 1. All of the config files to work on ( I mean all of them )
 2. Justin's planning for multu-server config ( More speciefic later )
   (The next things are my job, not to be sent etc.)
 3. The applet-server exchannge protocol
 4. The conf file parser ( Peace of cake once I have the config files )
 5. Justin can u update me where u r in tthe applet (etc. what features
are already on ) It   have some bugs, so I can't see all of the features

 6. Multi-server connection (That's later )

 That's all I think, A couple of days work and I'm done I think :) at
least until we decide to use SNMP......

 Randy: Do u have the binaries of the Apache for NT port? It''s sorta
BIG to install
 VC 5.0 now ( a few hundred megs etc.) thou I have it (VC 5).

 I'm working with VJ++ 1.1 it's not supporting the new JDK right now, so
RMI and Serialize are (for the moment) out of the question (that's the
way u write this?).
 Workshop 2.0 Beta is very messy about new Projects, not to mention it's
DOC.

 It took me an hour anf a half for the template, so u see that the
protocol is slowing us down.

   Next part: Multi-server configuration ( Justin that's especially for
u )

    Justin wrote in the documentation about a version which will enable
the configuration of multiply servers, so I wanted to know what does it
mean:
 1. Each command u send goes to all servers ( That would be impossible,
since each server has a slightly different config )
 2. U have a bunch of Servers on the side of the applet windows, u
choose one, and the command goes to it

 I've planned the server to route (forward) the commands ( chages, sets,
etc. ) to some other servers, I just wanted to know if to route all or
just the marked ones (Let the protocol decide how ).

------ Important  --------
  Are we all registread at the mailing list? If so, lets just send the
messages there, cause
 I have 4 copies of the last one :)

  Regards all, ( Hope this didn't put u to sleep now ), Roman Baron
alphax1@ibm.net

Re: Server Template

Posted by Maj Justin Seiferth <se...@www.disa.mil>.
Regarding:

>   Justin wrote in the documentation about a version which will enable the
> configuration of multiply servers, so I wanted to know what does it mean:
>  1. Each command u send goes to all servers ( That would be impossible, since each
> server has a slightly different config )
>  2. U have a bunch of Servers on the side of the applet windows, u choose one, and
> the command goes to it

 As you know, an applet isn't allow to connect to any machines other
than the one from which it was served so all commands must be routed
through the originating machine. The adventnet java kit for SNMP
includes a facility which will forward commands to other servers but I
wouldn't worry about particular feature just yet- to me it's just
something to keep in mind.

> 1. All of the config files to work on ( I mean all of them )

I sent httpd.conf and srm.conf to you previously- if you check you old
mail you should find them.

> 5. Justin can u update me where u r in tthe applet (etc. what features are already on )
> It   have some bugs, so I can't see all of the features

The "basic", "capacities" and "messages" dialogs are all functional.  I
will be updating the web site soon.  The web site croaks because some
images needed for bitmaps were somehow corrupted.  These three dialogs
should be sufficient to configure a basic site but I'm working hard on
the rest of the dialogs as well.

P.S. If any/all of you are also on the gui-list just let me know and
I'll relay only to there so you won't get multiple copies.

Justin