Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/10 22:02:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] Deprecate Spargel API for 0.9

Hi all,

I would like your opinion on whether we should deprecate the Spargel API in
0.9.

Gelly doesn't depend on Spargel, it actually contains it -- we have copied
the relevant classes over. I think it would be a good idea to deprecate
Spargel in 0.9, so that we can inform existing Spargel users that we'll
eventually remove it.

Also, I think the fact that we have 2 Graph APIs in the documentation might
be a bit confusing for newcomers. One might wonder why do we have them both
and when shall they use one over the other?

It might be a good idea to add a note in the Spargel guide that would
suggest to use Gelly instead and a corresponding note in the beginning of
the Gelly guide to explain that Spargel is part of Gelly now. Or maybe a
"Gelly or Spargel?" section. What do you think?

The only thing that worries me is that the Gelly API is not very stable. Of
course, we are mostly adding things, but we are planning to make some
changes as well and I'm sure more will be needed the more we use it.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Cheers,
Vasia.

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate Spargel API for 0.9

Posted by Alexander Alexandrov <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andra Lungu <lu...@gmail.com>.
Big +1 for deprecating Spargel :D

Posted by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the input everyone!
If no objections, I will open an issue for deprecating the Spargel API
tomorrow.

Cheers,
V.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.