Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by William Lee <wl...@sendmail.com> on 2001/11/08 19:34:49 UTC

Detecting and shutting down Tomcat

Is there a way I can tell whether a Tomcat 4.0 server is up and running
properly (on Unix)?  I think the start script essentially call java on
the the catalina class, but is there a way I can detect whether the
server has started successfully?

Also, I would like to wait for the server to completely shutdown so I
can implement the restart routine.  Is there a way I can tell whether
the server has completely shutdown?

--
William Lee (Will)        | Sendmail Inc.
Email:  wlee@sendmail.com | http://www.sendmail.com

Recovering from Out Of Memory Error ?

Posted by Denis Balazuc <de...@trader.com>.
Hi all

My concern joins those about Tomcat 3.2.3 not responding/out of memory
errors and such...
Here's what happens :

-- after a few days of good work, Tomcat produces an OutOfMemoryError
exception, which is displayed on stdout
After this error, Tomcat does not respond at all, so even trying to shutdown
does not work....

My question is :
How (where in the code / could not find a proper place to do so...) can I
intercept this OutOfMemoryError and take appropriate action ?
(sending an e-mail alert, or have the gc quick in, then shutdown and
restart - but all from within Tomcat's JVM preferrably...)

Thanks

Denis

Re: Detecting and shutting down Tomcat

Posted by Remy Maucherat <rm...@home.com>.
> Is there a way I can tell whether a Tomcat 4.0 server is up and running
> properly (on Unix)?  I think the start script essentially call java on
> the the catalina class, but is there a way I can detect whether the
> server has started successfully?
>
> Also, I would like to wait for the server to completely shutdown so I
> can implement the restart routine.  Is there a way I can tell whether
> the server has completely shutdown?

Connecting on the shutdown port should be a decent test IMO. You should also
be able to use the same tricks that you could use with TC 3, so maybe there
are better solutions.

Remy