Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/28 20:21:45 UTC

[vote] Release commons-net 2.0

Hi all

After the RC inspection a week or so ago, I am putting up a candidate
for release. Based on the feedback on the RC, I have made the following
changes:

* Excluded the examples/ classes from the binary jar
* Put LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt in META-INF in the FTP-only jar
* Fixed some oddities in the changes.xml document (I dont know what
Maven's xdoc processor was doing here)
* Updated the version number
* Updated keys, checksums, etc, and added a release notes doc

As usual, the files are here:

http://people.apache.org/~rwinston/commons-net-2.0/

Please vote as you feel appropriate!
Thanks

Rory

Re: [vote] Release commons-net 2.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Also, it would help to know what Maven command-line was used to build
the release (and on which OS), so it can readily be checked on other
systems / OSes.

The README file could perhaps be updated with this information - at
the moment it only describes how to build the site.

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.
James

Thats a good idea, I'll do that...I'll recut and retag a new release and
send out a new vote thread later on today. I did create a release tag
which I had been reusing, but I think in retrospect I should have just
created more RC tags.
Thanks
Rory

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.
Guys

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@scalaris.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
> [...]

> Thanks for the feedback. I have changed the pom (needed to add some
> plugins) to generate sources and javadoc jars. I have uploaded the
> signed jars to the site. I dont see an issue with the javadocs
> containing the examples classes (its always been like that).
>
> Rory
>

> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Hi Rory,
>>
>> here comes part II, I try to build the jar from the src package with my
>> compiler zoo.
>>
>> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Rory,
>>>
>>> - the clirr report compares 2.0 against 1.4.1 instead of 1.5.0.
>>> - the changes report is missing some information in the release history.
>>> This is not your fault, but it would be nice anyway to provide complete
>>> infos. - the javadoc contains the classes in the example packages.
>>>
>>> Nothing of this is a real -1, however if you have to make a new release
>>> ... ;-)
>>>
>>> I'll have a look at the binaries this evening before I complete voting.
>>>

>> -1
>>
>> I am missing the commons-net-2.0-sources.jar and
>> commons-net-2.0-javadoc.jar. Both are normally delivered and used for
>> automated IDE integration. See
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/1.4/
>>
>> Other findings:
>>
>> - Maven fails as usual with IBM JDKs ... nothing new and not common-net's
>> fault
>>
>> - JRockit 1.5.0.14 passes the tests, but I get some strange console
>> output,
>> that does not happen with Sun JDKs:
>> =========== %< ===============
>> Running org.apache.commons.net.telnet.TelnetClientTest
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Exception in wait, null
>> Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 44.51 sec

Sent from my mobile device

Re: [vote] Release commons-net 2.0

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Rory,

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@scalaris.com>.
Hi Rory,

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
+1

Artifacts look good, build works fine under JDK 1.6.

One nit: I think the release notes should be contained at least in the
binary distribution. And they should start with a short paragraph giving
an introduction into what the component does. Well, I leave the decision
to you and do not veto the release because of this.

Oliver

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Done!

Great, +1 on releasing.

/niklas

Re: [vote] Release commons-net 2.0

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.
Done!

Thanks
Rory

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I suspect Maven may have done this itself.

You're right. You can disable this behavior with the following configuration:
      <plugin>
        <version>2.2</version>
        <configuration>
          <archive>
            <addMavenDescriptor>false</addMavenDescriptor>
          </archive>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

/niklas

Re: [vote] Release commons-net 2.0

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On 10/1/08, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/09/2008, Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmm, I havent explicitly put the pom.xml under
> >
> >  META_INF/maven/commons-net/commons-net
> >
> >  ...I suspect Maven may have done this itself.
> >

> But is it correct?
>
> If not, will the incorrect location cause any problems for Maven?

It won't cause problems for Maven as it has put it there itself. In
fact, most JARs built with Maven2 has the pom included as it needs to
be explicitly disabled. Check for example the latest commons-io
release.

/niklas

Re: [vote] Release commons-net 2.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30/09/2008, Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, I havent explicitly put the pom.xml under
>
>  META_INF/maven/commons-net/commons-net
>
>  ...I suspect Maven may have done this itself.

But is it correct?

If not, will the incorrect location cause any problems for Maven?

If the entries will cause problems for Maven, then they must be fixed
before release.
If not, then the problem can be fixed in a later release.

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.