Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca> on 1997/10/26 23:58:31 UTC

Bug?

Just got this:

[Sun Oct 26 17:41:40 1997] [error] Invalid URI in request <garbage>

The <garbage> was a bunch of y" and o^ characters.

I'll see if I can track it down further.  Anybody else see one of these?

-Rasmus

Re: Bug?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > Yes this started appearing in my logs about the time IE4 PR1 appeared.  If
> > you search back in the new-httpd archives you'll find two posts from me
> > asking if anyone else has seen it.
>
> This log message was only added fairly recently. Before that Apache used
> to ignore dodgy looking request lines...

Ah, ok that explains it somewhat.  There are lame clients out there
though, some of my servers have a lot of these lines.

Dean

Re: Bug?

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com>.
On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> Yes this started appearing in my logs about the time IE4 PR1 appeared.  If
> you search back in the new-httpd archives you'll find two posts from me
> asking if anyone else has seen it.

This log message was only added fairly recently. Before that Apache used
to ignore dodgy looking request lines...

> > [Sun Oct 26 17:41:40 1997] [error] Invalid URI in request <garbage>
> > The <garbage> was a bunch of y" and o^ characters.
> >
> > I'll see if I can track it down further.  Anybody else see one of these?

Normally caused by ^C'ing out of a telnet session, I think.

//pcs

Re: Bug?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

RE: Bug?

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>.
According to Rasmus Lerdorf:

>  Just got this:
>
>  [Sun Oct 26 17:41:40 1997] [error] Invalid URI in request <garbage>
>
>  The <garbage> was a bunch of y" and o^ characters.
>
>  I'll see if I can track it down further.  Anybody else see one of these?

Sure, telnet to your server and press ^C (or something like this)
one or more times and hit return.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                            - I really don't think...
sfx@unix-ag.org                      - that these signatures are random...