Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Chinmay Kulkarni <ch...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/21 00:18:57 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 released

Hello Everyone,

The Apache Phoenix team is pleased to announce the immediate availability
of the 4.15.0 minor release. Apache Phoenix enables SQL-based OLTP and
operational analytics for Apache Hadoop using Apache HBase as its backing
store and providing integration with other projects in the Apache ecosystem
such as Spark, Hive, Pig, Flume, and MapReduce.

This minor release has feature parity with supported HBase versions and
includes the following improvements:
- Support for multi-region SYSTEM.CATALOG
- Omid integration with Phoenix
- Orphan view tool
- Separation of the Phoenix-Connectors and Phoenix-Queryserver projects
- 150+ bug fixes
and much more

Download source and binaries here [1].

Thanks,
Chinmay Kulkarni
(on behalf of the Apache Phoenix team)

[1] http://phoenix.apache.org/download.html

--
Chinmay Kulkarni

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 released

Posted by "larsh@apache.org" <la...@apache.org>.
 Yeah, we need to get better!

It's not generally possible to support newer clients with older servers. Phoenix might have added features that the old server cannot be expected to understand. So you in your app you'd have have to be incredibly careful not to use any new features.
Supporting more that one client version on the server is important, though.
Also, we need to keep in mind that there are three versions to consider (and this is was killed 4.15.0):
1. The server version
2. The client version
3. The version of the metadata.

We have been blissfully ignorant (to some extend at least) about #3. And that's why we need a metadata API. So that old clients are compatible with the new server code *and* the new metadata!

I think the expected mode of operations for larger installations would be to upgrade the server(s) and keep the older clients running for a while. Then when everything is deemed stable on the server switch the clients too.
Definitely a good discussion to have. I think it's time to do another Phoenux meetup and discuss these things...

-- Lars

    On Saturday, December 21, 2019, 12:39:12 PM PST, Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

 One thing I would like to suggest is a change to the project compatibility policy for upgrade/downgrade to support the following:

Mixed client/server versions one minor release up or back. Going forward. So in the future eg client={ 4.14, 4.15, 4.16 } <-> server={ 4.14, 4.15, 4.16 }. This will allow for seamless rolling upgrades with rollback in all common scenarios.

Then, consider an exception for some combinations of 4.15 and 5.1? I have tested this and these versions are data compatible (create data with 1.5/4.14, upgrade to 2.2/5.1) and at the HBase level the wire compatibility between 1 and 2 is good enough for normal client operations. If the version check didn’t throw an exception I wonder if there would be any issue.

For your consideration.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Responding with my VP Phoenix hat, as this worries me with blurred-lines
of what is "Vendor" and "Apache".

First, Cloudera/Hortonworks and any other company who redistributes some
version of Apache Phoenix (henceforth, called a "vendor") do not do so
as official Apache Phoenix releases. Vendors do not have the ability to
create Apache Phoenix releases. They can only create releases based on
some Apache Phoenix release. Only the Phoenix PMC holds the power to
create Apache Phoenix releases.

The "Phoenix for CDH" releases created in the past were done as Apache
Phoenix community efforts. Specifically, committers and PMC members took
the time to personally ensure that releases of Apache Phoenix work
against specific CDH versions. These are volunteer efforts (as all
Apache efforts are), not corporate efforts.

The future roadmap of what CDH releases (or any other Apache
Hadoop/HBase "compatible" release) by the Phoenix PMC is a wholly
separate process from what any vendor creates as some derivative of
Apache Phoenix.

(Aside: sometimes, vendors employ people who work on Apache projects,
but they are held to a high standard to act within specific guidelines
to prevent these lines from being blurred.)

Finally, again, these Phoenix releases built against CDH done by the
community are volunteer-driven. We would be very happy to have more
people volunteering time to donate their time and efforts to creating
more Apache Phoenix releases which we can provide to our users.
Contacting the dev@phoenix.apache.org list is the best way to get started.

Sorry this was so heavy-handed -- this is a very subtle but important
distinction that Apache projects need to always be very clear about.

- Josh