Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Tony Opatha <to...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/24 21:25:13 UTC

AXIS 1.2 Release Plan (Was: RE: Moving toward Axis 1.2 beta and release)

I think it is extremely important that we release:

0) AXIS 1.2 Beta by early Jan. '04

1) AXIS 1.2 Final Release by mid-Jan. '04

2) AXIS 1.3 Release by mid-Feb to mid-March '04

AXIS 1.2 should be bug-fix release of AXIS 1.1 such that we have minimal code changes in AXIS 1.1-based web services applications and clients.

AXIS 1.3 should be a WS-I BP 1.0 conformant release. The sooner we can get a beta and/or alpha version of AXIS 1.3 with BP enhancements it would be useful for the AXIS dev community to test with other WS-I BP 1.0 conforming run-times. If there are some known bug-fixes that will help in AXIS 1.3 BP 1.0 conformance, I would recommend that they be included in AXIS 1.2.

These dates seem to echo the discussions in attached e-mail.

Hence, may we get some clarification from AXIS 1.2 release coordinator that we can stick to above dates?

Is there an AXIS 1.2 Beta distribution currently available? The earlier we get that, the easier it will be to test it to confirm its stability.

Thanks.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Tony Opatha wrote:
> I think it is extremely important that we release:
>
> 0) AXIS 1.2 Beta by early Jan. '04
>
> 1) AXIS 1.2 Final Release by mid-Jan. '04

two weeks from beta to final release? That is not enough time to get
complete feedback from users. We could target beta-1 in early jan,
beta-2 mid jan with final following, but that is glen's call.

> 2) AXIS 1.3 Release by mid-Feb to mid-March '04
>
> AXIS 1.2 should be bug-fix release of AXIS 1.1 such that we have minimal
> code changes in AXIS 1.1-based web services applications and clients.
>
> AXIS 1.3 should be a WS-I BP 1.0 conformant release. The sooner we can
> get a beta and/or alpha version of AXIS 1.3 with BP enhancements it
> would be useful for the AXIS dev community to test with other WS-I BP
> 1.0 conforming run-times. If there are some known bug-fixes that will
> help in AXIS 1.3 BP 1.0 conformance, I would recommend that they be
> included in AXIS 1.2.

I see where you are heading: fixes in 1.2; features in 1.3. I also
suspect that while 1.2 is in beta, the 1.3/CVS_HEAD branch will remain
fairly quiet, as most engineering effort will focus on the product,  it
is only anyone who is working on new features that will touch 1.3.
Indeed, it is nice when the two branches stay close, as it makes
synchronising branches easier.

> These dates seem to echo the discussions in attached e-mail.
>
> Hence, may we get some clarification from AXIS 1.2 release coordinator
> that we can stick to above dates?

Remember, in open source there is no marketing mandated release
deadline. And most of the people who work on this do it in their spare
time. If you want Axis to ship early, you need to help.

> Is there an AXIS 1.2 Beta distribution currently available? The earlier
> we get that, the easier it will be to test it to confirm its stability.

You need to pull down the CVS builds and do nightly builds if you really
want to test thoroughly; it is the key to catching changes and notifying
the team before anything ships. Then file bugreps with reproducible tests.

-steve

Re: AXIS 1.2 Release Plan (Was: RE: Moving toward Axis 1.2 beta and release)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Question: Are u willing to pitch in to help? If so, please review existing bugs in bugzilla and
upload patches. The more folks pitching in, the quicker we can get out releases.

thanks,
dims

--- Tony Opatha <to...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think it is extremely important that we release:
>
> 0) AXIS 1.2 Beta by early Jan. '04
>
> 1) AXIS 1.2 Final Release by mid-Jan. '04
>
> 2) AXIS 1.3 Release by mid-Feb to mid-March '04
>
> AXIS 1.2 should be bug-fix release of AXIS 1.1 such that we have minimal code changes in AXIS
> 1.1-based web services applications and clients.
>
> AXIS 1.3 should be a WS-I BP 1.0 conformant release. The sooner we can get a beta and/or alpha
> version of AXIS 1.3 with BP enhancements it would be useful for the AXIS dev community to test
> with other WS-I BP 1.0 conforming run-times. If there are some known bug-fixes that will help in
> AXIS 1.3 BP 1.0 conformance, I would recommend that they be included in AXIS 1.2.
>
> These dates seem to echo the discussions in attached e-mail.
>
> Hence, may we get some clarification from AXIS 1.2 release coordinator that we can stick to
> above dates?
>
> Is there an AXIS 1.2 Beta distribution currently available? The earlier we get that, the easier
> it will be to test it to confirm its stability.
>
> Thanks.

=== message truncated ===

=====

Re: AXIS 1.2 Release Plan (Was: RE: Moving toward Axis 1.2 beta and release)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.