Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Alexander N. Spitzer" <as...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/16 02:57:09 UTC

is multithreaded_compaction stable?

We have a cluster using leveled compaction and there are only a couple
CF. The cluster does not seem to be able to keep up with compaction.
When running "top", I always see core that is 100% busy, which I think
is most likely the compaction thread.

I wanted to enable multithreaded_compaction, but someone told me it
was "unstable". Does anyone have any experience with this parameter?

p.s. I am new to cassandra, so sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks!

-alex spitzer

Cell: 617.407.2274
AIM: AlexSpitzer
GChat: aspitzer@gmail.com

Re: is multithreaded_compaction stable?

Posted by "Alexander N. Spitzer" <as...@gmail.com>.
we currently have setcompactionthroughput set to 0. we are also running on
ssds.

even so, the compaction falls behind.

what kind of compaction throughput should we be seeing with no threshold
limit? I am usually seeing around 2-3MB/s in the system.log, which seems
super slow to me.

(sorry for short response, but currently replying from phone)

thanks!

Posted by Jeremy Hanna <je...@gmail.com>.