Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by John Brown <jo...@hotmail.com> on 2008/03/15 11:44:03 UTC

Ant unable to locate tools.jar when building FOP trunk

Hello All,

I am on Windows XP, and I have the following packages installed:

JDK 1.6 in c:\program files\java\jdk1.6.0_03
apache-ant-1.7.0 in c:\program files\utils\apacahe-ant-1.7.0
fop-0.94 in c:\program files\utils\fop-0.94
fop svn (svn 637076) in c:\downloads\utils\fop

I set my environment variables as follows:

set JAVA_HOME=c:\progra~1\java\jdk1.6.0_03
set ANT_HOME=c:\progra~1\utils\apacahe-ant-1.7.0
set CLASSPATH=
set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Progra~1\Dev\Git\cmd;c:\progra~1\utils\apache-ant-1.7.0\bin;c:\progra~1\
Java\jdk1.6.0_03\bin

I did not add fop to my path because I have two versions. My PATH is correct;
I can run fop and ant just by typing 'fop' and 'ant'.

When I try to build fop, I get the following output:

C:\Downloads\Utils\fop>ant
Unable to locate tools.jar. Expected to find it in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.
0_03\lib\tools.jar
/**************************************************************/
/* Why does it say this? I set JAVA_HOME to my JDK directory; see below  */
/**************************************************************/
Buildfile: build.xml

init-avail:
     [echo] ------------------- Apache FOP svn-trunk [1999-2007] ---------------
-
     [echo] See build.properties and build-local.properties for additional build
 settings
     [echo] Apache Ant version 1.7.0 compiled on December 13 2006
     [echo] VM: 1.6.0_03-b05, Sun Microsystems Inc.
     [echo] JAVA_HOME: c:\progra~1\java\jdk1.6.0_03
                                      /********/
                                      /* See ? */
                                      /********/
     [echo] Jimi Support NOT Present
     [echo] JAI Support NOT Present
     [echo] JCE Support PRESENT
     [echo] JUnit Support NOT Present - Committers are required to have JUnit wo
rking
     [echo] XMLUnit Support NOT Present - you can get it from http://xmlunit.sou
rceforge.net

init-filters-jdk14:
     [echo] Use GraphicsConfiguration adapter for JDK 1.4.

In the end, I had to copy tools.jar to the directory where ant expected to find it.

1) How can I make ant look for tools.jar in the right place?

2) DO I need to be concerned about the things that are NOT Present?

Re: [SOLVED] Ant unable to locate tools.jar when building FOP trunk

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Mar 15, 2008, at 23:06, John Brown wrote:

>> <snip />
>> Another possibility: what do you get when you type 'set JAVACMD'?
>>
>> Just noticed that, if that variable exists and points to another
>> java.exe, that JVM is ultimately used and JAVA_HOME is completely
>> ignored by Ant.
>>

> You found it!
>
> <snip />
> Unfortunately, the Ant installation instructions at
> http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html#installing
> say nothing about JAVACMD.

Indeed not in the installation instructions, but there is a very
short reference to it at
http://ant.apache.org/manual/running.html#envvars

Admitted, it's very easy to overlook... I myself only noticed
yesterday. :-)

Anyway, glad to see it worked out.

Cheers

Andreas

RE: [SOLVED] Ant unable to locate tools.jar when building FOP trunk

Posted by John Brown <jo...@hotmail.com>.

Andreas Delmelle wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2008, at 14:52, John Brown wrote:
>

>> [snip]
>>
>>> So (no offense), can you re-check? Are you *absolutely* sure the
>>> JAVA_HOME variable points to an existing JDK location (no typos
>>> whatsoever?).
>>>

>> I thought of that, but that's not it:
>
> Another possibility: what do you get when you type 'set JAVACMD'?
>
> Just noticed that, if that variable exists and points to another
> java.exe, that JVM is ultimately used and JAVA_HOME is completely
> ignored by Ant.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andreas

You found it!

C:\Downloads\Utils\fop>set JAVACMD
JAVACMD=java

This java == c:\windows\system32\java.exe, because c:\windows\system32
appears earlier in my %PATH% than my JDK\bin directory. Moving JDK\bin
to the front of %PATH% fixed the problem.

Unfortunately, the Ant installation instructions at
http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html#installing
say nothing about JAVACMD.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Ant unable to locate tools.jar when building FOP trunk

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.

Posted by John Brown <jo...@hotmail.com>.
Andreas Delmelle wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2008, at 13:59, John Brown wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>

>>> Can you try running 'ant -diagnostics', and see what gives? It
>>> will give you a lot of details about the internal state, used JVM
>>> etc... Hopefully, this will provide you with a clue.
>>>
>> Under System properties I see:
>> java.runtime.name : Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
>> sun.boot.library.path : c:\program files\java\jre1.6.0_03\bin
>>
>> Whenever a java directory appears in any of the other system
>> properties
>> it is always the jre directory. I will uninstall all Java software...
>>

> In the meantime, I re-tested the setup on my Windows machine, and the
> only way in which I was able to reproduce your issue was when the
> JAVA_HOME was set to a folder that actually did not contain the JDK

[snip]

> So (no offense), can you re-check? Are you *absolutely* sure the
> JAVA_HOME variable points to an existing JDK location (no typos
> whatsoever?).
>

> Cheers
>
> Andreas

I thought of that, but that's not it:

C:\Downloads\Utils\fop>dir "%JAVA_HOME%"
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is A8F9-5B90

 Directory of c:\program files\java\jdk1.6.0_03

26/10/2007  01:58 PM              .
26/10/2007  01:58 PM              ..
26/10/2007  01:58 PM              bin
25/09/2007  01:33 AM             2,539 COPYRIGHT
26/10/2007  01:58 PM              db
26/10/2007  01:57 PM              include
26/10/2007  01:58 PM              jre
26/10/2007  01:58 PM              lib
26/10/2007  01:57 PM            13,471 LICENSE
26/10/2007  01:57 PM            19,780 LICENSE.rtf
26/10/2007  01:58 PM             7,665 PATCH.ERR
24/09/2007  11:20 PM            26,650 README.html
24/09/2007  11:20 PM            24,572 README_ja.html
24/09/2007  11:20 PM            18,764 README_zh_CN.html
24/09/2007  11:20 PM           180,676 THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt
               8 File(s)        294,117 bytes
               7 Dir(s)  11,805,831,168 bytes free

C:\Downloads\Utils\fop>

The quotes around %java_home% are necessary because of the spaces
in the path, but as you can see, it is pointing to the right place.

I will probably ask the Ant people about it.

Re: Ant unable to locate tools.jar when building FOP trunk

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Mar 15, 2008, at 13:59, John Brown wrote:

Hi John,

>> Can you try running 'ant -diagnostics', and see what gives? It
>> will give you a lot of details about the internal state, used JVM
>> etc... Hopefully, this will provide you with a clue.
>>
> Under System properties I see:
> java.runtime.name : Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
> sun.boot.library.path : c:\program files\java\jre1.6.0_03\bin
>
> Whenever a java directory appears in any of the other system
> properties
> it is always the jre directory. I will uninstall all Java software...

In the meantime, I re-tested the setup on my Windows machine, and the
only way in which I was able to reproduce your issue was when the
JAVA_HOME was set to a folder that actually did not contain the JDK
(a non-existing one, for example). In that case, the Ant scripts have
all sorts of means to fall back to whatever Java version they can
find on your machine. Sure, FOP's Ant-build will echo the erroneous
value of JAVA_HOME to the screen. Only, it will not use it.

Posted by John Brown <jo...@hotmail.com>.
Andreas Delmelle wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2008, at 12:51, John Brown wrote:
>
> Hi John

>>> Just a hunch, but could it have something to do with the abbreviated
>>> path (C:\Program Files -> C:\progra~1) in the JAVA_HOME variable?
>>>
>>> Try setting it to the full path. Windows XP has no issues with a
>>> command like 'set JAVA_HOME=c:\program files\java...'.
>>>

>> It didn't work.
>
> Hmm... Can you try running 'ant -diagnostics', and see what gives? It
> will give you a lot of details about the internal state, used JVM
> etc... Hopefully, this will provide you with a clue.
>

> Cheers
>
> Andreas

Under System properties I see:
java.runtime.name : Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
sun.boot.library.path : c:\program files\java\jre1.6.0_03\bin

Whenever a java directory appears in any of the other system properties
it is always the jre directory. I will uninstall all Java software, and install
only the JDK. That should fix it. Unfortunately, I don't have a saved copy
of the JDK installation, and the Java website is offline for maintenance
right now. If, for whatever reason, they both need to be installed,
then I will install the JDK lst. That should make it the default Java installaion.

Re: Ant unable to locate tools.jar when building FOP trunk

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.

Posted by John Brown <jo...@hotmail.com>.

Andreas Delmelle wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2008, at 11:44, John Brown wrote:
>
> Hi
>
>> I am on Windows XP, and I have the following packages installed:
>>

>> When I try to build fop, I get the following output:
>>
>> C:\Downloads\Utils\fop>ant
>> Unable to locate tools.jar. Expected to find it in C:\Program Files
>> \Java\jre1.6.
>> 0_03\lib\tools.jar
>> /**************************************************************/
>> /* Why does it say this? I set JAVA_HOME to my JDK directory; see
>> below */
>> /**************************************************************/
>
>> In the end, I had to copy tools.jar to the directory where ant
>> expected to find it.
>>
>> 1) How can I make ant look for tools.jar in the right place?
>
> Just a hunch, but could it have something to do with the abbreviated
> path (C:\Program Files -> C:\progra~1) in the JAVA_HOME variable?
>
> Try setting it to the full path. Windows XP has no issues with a
> command like 'set JAVA_HOME=c:\program files\java...'.

It didn't work. I have no knowledge of debugging Java, so I can't begin
to track down this error myself. I found the following in the WHATSNEW
file in the ant directory under "Fixed bugs:"

* Ant failed to locate tools.jar if the jre directory name wasn't all
  lowercase.  Bugzilla Report 25798.

Just in case, I went in the Registry and changed JavaHome to lower case
everywhere, but it didn't help. I have compiled fop trunk before without
a problem, so I have no idea
what went wrong. Anyway, I have a workaround, so I won't worry about it,
although a solution is still welcome if anybody finds one.

Re: Ant unable to locate tools.jar when building FOP trunk

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Mar 15, 2008, at 11:44, John Brown wrote:

Hi

> I am on Windows XP, and I have the following packages installed:
>
> <snip />
> When I try to build fop, I get the following output:
>
> C:\Downloads\Utils\fop>ant
> Unable to locate tools.jar. Expected to find it in C:\Program Files
> \Java\jre1.6.
> 0_03\lib\tools.jar
> /**************************************************************/
> /* Why does it say this? I set JAVA_HOME to my JDK directory; see
> below  */
> /**************************************************************/

> In the end, I had to copy tools.jar to the directory where ant
> expected to find it.
>
> 1) How can I make ant look for tools.jar in the right place?

Just a hunch, but could it have something to do with the abbreviated
path (C:\Program Files -> C:\progra~1) in the JAVA_HOME variable?

Try setting it to the full path. Windows XP has no issues with a
command like 'set JAVA_HOME=c:\program files\java...'.

> 2) DO I need to be concerned about the things that are NOT Present?

Not at all, especially not with FOP Trunk. The JAI and Jimi
dependencies are no longer relevant.

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas