Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2015/10/26 23:11:57 UTC

JIRA

Hi,

I’ve raised a JIRA to setup JIRA here. [1]

Is there an existing JIRA bug base you wish to import issues from?

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/agent/INFRA/issue/INFRA-10670

Re: JIRA

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> The list name itself isn't really a big deal.

Agreed as long as there is one. :-) I’ve seen some project start out with only a dev list but the JIRA noise tends to get a bit annoying.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: JIRA

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 8:49 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the record, I'm with Marvin on this: fewer lists. I filed the mailing
> list creations, but felt it wasn't my place to question them at the time.
> ... I'm glad this discussion is here.
>
> (yes, Marvin fired that ticket awfully quick, but nothing is permanent)

Sterling and I had discussed mailing lists while we were building up
the Mynewt incubation proposal -- there was originally a request for a
user list, but as that's generally frowned upon for all but the
largest podlings these days, in the end the proposal requested only
dev@, notifications@ and commits@.

The Jira ticket for mailing list creation was filed by Justin -- and
it looked to me like that was where the glitch arose.

I figured that having managed to contact Justin and confirm that he
was OK with deep-sixing issues@, that was enough -- since I didn't
think anyone else was invested in issues@. And I filed the ticket
quickly because it's cleaner if we don't end up sending any mail to
the list that's about to go away.

I didn't realize that Greg had actually been the one who had performed
the task of getting the lists set up, fulfilling Justin's request. If
I'd thought there might be people invested in issues@ other than him,
it would have been better for me to go slower and gather opinions
before acting.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: JIRA

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> Hi, sorry I didn't catch this earlier, but the original plan was to
> have all
> >> notifications including JIRA to be sent to notifications@mynewt.
> >
> > Isn’t that normally for notifications rather than issues? i.e. We can
> keep
> > both use issues for JIRA and notifications for release announcement and
> the
> > like?
>
> Take a look at this page and click on links named "notifications" or
> "announce":
>
>   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox
>
> If this project had an announcement list it would probably be named
> "announce@mynewt".  But the project is not big enough right now to need
> such a
> list.
>
> The "notifications@" list is usually used for CI.  It sometimes also gets
> issue tracker notifications.
>
> The list name itself isn't really a big deal.  The critical choices are:
>
> 1.  Keep all that autogenerated mail off the dev list so the
> signal-to-noise
>     ratio stays high.
> 2.  Put all the autogenerated mail except commits on *one* list instead of
>     several.  It's all for core devs anyhow.

For the record, I'm with Marvin on this: fewer lists. I filed the mailing
list creations, but felt it wasn't my place to question them at the time.
... I'm glad this discussion is here.

(yes, Marvin fired that ticket awfully quick, but nothing is permanent)

Cheers,
-g

Re: JIRA

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Hi, sorry I didn't catch this earlier, but the original plan was to have all
>> notifications including JIRA to be sent to notifications@mynewt.
>
> Isn’t that normally for notifications rather than issues? i.e. We can keep
> both use issues for JIRA and notifications for release announcement and the
> like?

Take a look at this page and click on links named "notifications" or
"announce":

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox

If this project had an announcement list it would probably be named
"announce@mynewt".  But the project is not big enough right now to need such a
list.

The "notifications@" list is usually used for CI.  It sometimes also gets
issue tracker notifications.

The list name itself isn't really a big deal.  The critical choices are:

1.  Keep all that autogenerated mail off the dev list so the signal-to-noise
    ratio stays high.
2.  Put all the autogenerated mail except commits on *one* list instead of
    several.  It's all for core devs anyhow.

For further exploration of the subject, see...

Marvin Humphrey

Re: JIRA

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: JIRA

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> wrote:

>> I've been informed on the Infra HipChat that it is realistic to ask
>> for the following:
>>
>> * zap issues@mynewt
>> * Reconfigure Jira to send notifications to notifications@mynewt
>
> Sounds fine by me.  Just email the JIRA here/ping the list when it’s done.

The JIRA notifications have been switched over to point at
notifications@mynewt.  That's the important part, and it's done.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: JIRA

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: JIRA

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Re: JIRA

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:

> I'm asking on the Infra HipChat channel right now whether it's realistic to
> reconfigure but I'm not sure anybody's there.

I've been informed on the Infra HipChat that it is realistic to ask
for the following:

* zap issues@mynewt
* Reconfigure Jira to send notifications to notifications@mynewt

I'm going to take the liberty of filing an INFRA ticket for that.

Justin, thank you very much for doing a bunch of work to set up the podling!

Marvin Humphrey

Re: JIRA

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It’ all been set up and good to go [1].
>
> I’ve been made an administrator, if anyone else want to be one just ask.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYNEWT

Hi, sorry I didn't catch this earlier, but the original plan was to have all
notifications including JIRA to be sent to notifications@mynewt.  The
issues@mynewt list wasn't part of the proposal:

    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MynewtProposal#Mailing_lists

    === Mailing lists ===

     * dev@mynewt.incubator.apache.org
     * commits@mynewt.incubator.apache.org
     * notifications@mynewt.incubator.apache.org

It looks like neither issues@mynewt nor notifications@mynewt have received any
mail yet.

I'm asking on the Infra HipChat channel right now whether it's realistic to
reconfigure but I'm not sure anybody's there.

We might just want to roll with a single list named issues@mynewt and ask
infra to zap notifications@mynewt.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: JIRA

Re: JIRA

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

No, we've pretty much been waiting for the ASF infra.

It will be nice to have JIRA!

Sterling