Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de> on 2012/07/28 11:41:30 UTC

trunk build breaks in qadevOOo because of missing class TextFitToSizeType

Hi,

I start to build trunk with MSVC Express on WinXP. The build breaks in
qadevOOo with error message

C:\AOO_2012_07_git\trunk\main\qadevOOo\runner\util\ValueChanger.java:378: cannot
find symbol
symbol  : class TextFitToSizeType
location: package com.sun.star.drawing
     if (oldValue instanceof com.sun.star.drawing.TextFitToSizeType){
                                                 ^
Reason seems to be, that the changes in
   r1366087: #116001# TextToFitSize item/property optimized to boolean
are incomplete.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: trunk build breaks in qadevOOo because of missing class TextFitToSizeType

Posted by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>.
I met the same break.

--
Best Regards

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
Hi,

Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 7/28/12 11:57 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> Hi Regina,
[..]
>> IMHO besides of being incomplete, they are incompatible, and thus the
>> API changes should be reverted: this kind of incompatible API changes
>> should happen only on mayor versions, they should wait for AOO 4; in
>> the meantime, the solution seems to be:
>
> in general yes and I would agree but in this case Armin told me that the
> implementation was always different and the IDL was wrong. We did such
> changes in the past as well but always very seldom and carefully.
>
> It doesn't help to keep wrong IDL types that never have worked and were
> not really used. The mistake that was made here is to forget a clean
> build from scratch and solve all code places accordingly. That has to be
> solved.

We discussed and agreed that this case is more a bugfix, the type is used
in ODF as bool and in core, too. Sven wrote the same in his description.
Thanks Juergen for explaining here, too.

I am sorry for the hassle, I *did* a complete clean build from trunk (I
would have never dared to checkin otherwise). What I forgot is e.g.
binfilter since my default flags disable it. Sorry for that inconvenice,
I'll have a look ASAP...

--
ALG

Re: trunk build breaks in qadevOOo because of missing class TextFitToSizeType

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
	Hi,

On 30.07.2012 16:02, Armin Le Grand wrote:

> Hi,

[..]

> Is that okay..?

I have reverted the change in revision 1366087.

[..]

Sincerely,
	Armin
--
ALG

Re: trunk build breaks in qadevOOo because of missing class TextFitToSizeType

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
Hi,

On 30.07.2012 15:56, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
 > On 7/30/12 2:36 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
[..]

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Drawings/General_Drawing_Properties)

 >>> It doesn't help to keep wrong IDL types that never have worked and were
 >>> not really used.
 >>
 >> This is a wrong assumption, see the example from the SDK quoted above.
 >> You cannot mesure how many API users are using this API, but assuming
 >> that some people actually read the examples and follow them seems more
 >> reasonable.
 >>

 > I agree and apologize to not go deeper in this special case. Under this
 > circumstance I would suggest that we revert the change and document it
 > in IDL. The enum has no real effect and is obsolete. We can postpone
 > this incompatible change for a 4.0 if we all agree that the change in
 > general make sense.

I also apologize for not checking deeper, I thought it was a simple
cleanup/fix (see task). I think the simplest is to revert it for now,
document the missing adaptions (which I have ready now) in the task and
note in the API doc that all values not NONE do the same, thus not
really being used.

Is that okay..?

--
ALG

Re: trunk build breaks in qadevOOo because of missing class TextFitToSizeType

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <ro...@apache.org>.
On 30.07.2012 14:36, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:08:05AM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> On 7/28/12 11:57 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>> Hi Regina,

>>> IMHO besides of being incomplete, they are incompatible, and thus the
>>> API changes should be reverted: this kind of incompatible API changes
>>> should happen only on mayor versions, they should wait for AOO 4; in
>>> the meantime, the solution seems to be:
>>
>> in general yes and I would agree but in this case Armin told me that the
>> implementation was always different and the IDL was wrong.
>
> It doesn't matter what the implementation did internally, API users
> don't care about implementation details. And it is a mistake to assume
> that no API clients are using this API. In fact, it is more justified to
> asume it is being used, as it's been documented in the SDK example:
> main/odk/examples/DevelopersGuide/Drawing/TextDemo.java
>
> It also seems logical to assume that people read the documentation and
> follow the examples ;)
>
>> We did such
>> changes in the past as well but always very seldom and carefully.
>
> But this change is *not* carefully done: the change is not tracked in
> the IDL documentation; as API user, I would expect a @deprecated tag in
> the IDL, not simple removal without further information (besides the
> Developer's Guide being updated too
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Drawings/General_Drawing_Properties)
>

>> It doesn't help to keep wrong IDL types that never have worked and were
>> not really used.
>
> This is a wrong assumption, see the example from the SDK quoted above.
> You cannot mesure how many API users are using this API, but assuming
> that some people actually read the examples and follow them seems more
> reasonable.
+1

FWIW, here a snippet that references a constant from that type (existing as an ooRexx sample for
more than five years and being employed by students!):

    ... cut ...
    proportional = bsf.getConstant("com.sun.star.drawing.TextFitToSizeType", "PROPORTIONAL")
    xShapeProps~setPropertyValue("TextFitToSize", proportional)
    ... cut ...

---rony

Re: trunk build breaks in qadevOOo because of missing class TextFitToSizeType

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:08:05AM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 7/28/12 11:57 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> > Hi Regina,
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Regina Henschel
> > <rb...@t-online.de> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I start to build trunk with MSVC Express on WinXP. The build breaks in
> >> qadevOOo with error message
> >>
> >> C:\AOO_2012_07_git\trunk\main\qadevOOo\runner\util\ValueChanger.java:378:
> >> cannot find symbol
> >> symbol  : class TextFitToSizeType
> >> location: package com.sun.star.drawing
> >>     if (oldValue instanceof com.sun.star.drawing.TextFitToSizeType){
> >>                                                 ^
> >> Reason seems to be, that the changes in
> >>   r1366087: #116001# TextToFitSize item/property optimized to boolean
> >> are incomplete.
> >
> > IMHO besides of being incomplete, they are incompatible, and thus the
> > API changes should be reverted: this kind of incompatible API changes
> > should happen only on mayor versions, they should wait for AOO 4; in
> > the meantime, the solution seems to be:
>
> in general yes and I would agree but in this case Armin told me that the
> implementation was always different and the IDL was wrong.

It doesn't matter what the implementation did internally, API users
don't care about implementation details. And it is a mistake to assume
that no API clients are using this API. In fact, it is more justified to
asume it is being used, as it's been documented in the SDK example:
main/odk/examples/DevelopersGuide/Drawing/TextDemo.java

It also seems logical to assume that people read the documentation and
follow the examples ;)

> We did such
> changes in the past as well but always very seldom and carefully.

But this change is *not* carefully done: the change is not tracked in
the IDL documentation; as API user, I would expect a @deprecated tag in
the IDL, not simple removal without further information (besides the
Developer's Guide being updated too
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Drawings/General_Drawing_Properties)

> It doesn't help to keep wrong IDL types that never have worked and were
> not really used.

This is a wrong assumption, see the example from the SDK quoted above.
You cannot mesure how many API users are using this API, but assuming
that some people actually read the examples and follow them seems more
reasonable.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: trunk build breaks in qadevOOo because of missing class TextFitToSizeType

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Regina, *

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Regina Henschel
<rb...@t-online.de> wrote:
>> (I'll try another build, though I'm sure I cleaned the whole source
>> tree with dmake clean).

there is a bug in the build environment, sure due to the changes when
building with the --html switch.
This explains also why the linux 32 bits build boot didn't break last night.

instsetoo_native]$ time build --html --all -P8 -- -P4 > ~/aoo-build.log 2>&1 &

exits with no error code:

Successful packaging process!
... creating log file log_AOO350_en-US.log
Sat Jul 28 23:02:02 2012 (11:22 min.)

Multiprocessing build is finished
Maximal number of processes run: 8

Though when it built qadevOOo, it exited with error code:

/build/aoo/src/playground/trunk/main/qadevOOo/runner/util/ValueChanger.java:382:
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class TextFitToSizeType
location: package com.sun.star.drawing
        com.sun.star.drawing.TextFitToSizeType TF4 =
com.sun.star.drawing.TextFitToSizeType.RESIZEATTR;
                                                                         ^
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
9 errors

BUILD FAILED
/build/aoo/src/playground/trunk/main/qadevOOo/build.xml:42: Compile
failed; see the compiler error output for details.

Total time: 26 seconds
dmake:  Error code 1, while making 'ANTBUILD'

This error was ignored, and the build went on.

Regards

Re: trunk build breaks in qadevOOo because of missing class TextFitToSizeType

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Armin,

Armin Le Grand schrieb:
>      Hi Regina,
>
> On 29.07.2012 02:17, Regina Henschel wrote:
>> Hi Ariel,
>>
>> thanks for your work. But it is not urgent for me. I can wait till it is
>> fixed.
>
> Could you please quickly post the build flags here you are using? Thanks
> in advance!

./configure \
  --with-directx-home="/cygdrive/c/Programme/Microsoft DirectX SDK
(March 2009)" \
  --with-cl-home="/cygdrive/c/Programme/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC" \
  --disable-activex \
  --disable-build-mozilla \
  --with-mozilla-build="/cygdrive/c/mozillabuild" \
  --disable-binfilter \
  --enable-dbgutil \
  --disable-copyleft \
  --with-asm-home="/cygdrive/c/Programme/Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0/VC/bin" \
  --with-jdk-home="/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.6.0_20" \
  --with-ant-home=/ant \
  --with-mspdb-path="/cygdrive/c/Programme/Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0/Common7/IDE" \
  --without-junit \

--with-dmake-url="http://dmake.apache-extras.org.codespot.com/files/dmake-4.12.tar.bz2"
\
  --enable-pch \
  --without-fonts \
  --with-vendor="Regina" \
  --with-build-version="2012_07_27_with_atl_debug"

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
	Hi Regina,

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Ariel,

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@gmail.com>.
HI Regina,

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Ariel,
Ariel Constenla-Haile schrieb:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
[..]

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
> Hi Regina,
>
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Regina Henschel
> <rb...@t-online.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I start to build trunk with MSVC Express on WinXP. The build breaks in
>> qadevOOo with error message
>>
>> C:\AOO_2012_07_git\trunk\main\qadevOOo\runner\util\ValueChanger.java:378:
>> cannot find symbol
>> symbol  : class TextFitToSizeType
>> location: package com.sun.star.drawing
>>     if (oldValue instanceof com.sun.star.drawing.TextFitToSizeType){
>>                                                 ^
>> Reason seems to be, that the changes in
>>   r1366087: #116001# TextToFitSize item/property optimized to boolean
>> are incomplete.
>
> IMHO besides of being incomplete, they are incompatible, and thus the
> API changes should be reverted: this kind of incompatible API changes
> should happen only on mayor versions, they should wait for AOO 4; in
> the meantime, the solution seems to be:

in general yes and I woudl agree but in this case Armin told me that the

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Regina,