Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by J Greenbaum <jg...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/21 22:18:18 UTC

[users@httpd] symbolic link to public_html folders

Hi,

I'm having trouble configuring apache so that the public_html folder can be
a symbolic link to another directory.  On my Ubuntu 10.04 installation, my
userdir.conf file includes the 'FollowSymLinks' option for the
/home/*/public_html directories.  However, if I try to access my user
directory from a browser 'http://localhost/~username', I get a 403 Forbidden
error.  In the apache error log, it says:

Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible:
/home/username/public_html

I have ruled out the possibility that this is a permission problem since I
can access the directory directly rather than through the symbolic link.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

RE: [users@httpd] symbolic link to public_html folders

Posted by Manoj Samtani <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Jason,
What error you are getting in error_logs??
Did you enabled following:
+FollowSymlinksUserDir disabled
UserDir enabled user1 user2 user3   ???
Regards,Manoj Samtani

From: jgbaum@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:22:17 -0700
To: rainer.jung@kippdata.de
CC: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] symbolic link to public_html folders

I tried that one too, but no luck.  Thanks for the response.

-Jason

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> wrote:

On 21.09.2010 22:18, J Greenbaum wrote:

Hi,

I'm having trouble configuring apache so that the public_html folder can

be a symbolic link to another directory.  On my Ubuntu 10.04

installation, my userdir.conf file includes the 'FollowSymLinks' option

for the /home/*/public_html directories.  However, if I try to access my

user directory from a browser 'http://localhost/~username', I get a 403

Forbidden error.  In the apache error log, it says:

Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible:

/home/username/public_html

I have ruled out the possibility that this is a permission problem since

I can access the directory directly rather than through the symbolic link.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Could it be "SymLinksIfOwnerMatch":

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#options

Regards,