Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Johan Chaves Saborío <jo...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/25 20:54:52 UTC

lock owner

Hi everybody,

When I try to lock a file and somebody else has the lock of that file, the
error message don't say who has it...

1. How can I know who is the lock owner???

2. It would be very useful if that functionality is implemented!!! How can I
request it???

Re: Understanding merging.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 26, 2005, at 17:08, Anastasios Angelidis wrote:

>> In that case, get a working copy of Trunk, go into it, and merge
>> the  change into the working copy:
>>
>> cd /path/to/working/copy/of/Trunk
>> svn merge -r3:4 svn://myserver/Development/Test_Project/Branches/
>> Bug_Fixes
>>
>> This means "Make a recipe that transforms revision 3 of the
>> Bug_Fixes  branch into revision 4, and apply that recipe to the
>> working copy I'm  in right now."
>>

> Ok it worked but I'm not exactly understanding why -r3:4. The
> working copy is at r5 and I want to merge r4 into it... to make the
> working copy finally r6. Maybe you can explain it differently? Thanks

The fact that your working copy is at revision 5 right now is
irrelevant.

You also do not know for certain that, when you commit, you will get
revision 6. If there are other developers, they may be committing
other things, and you might end up with revision 7, or 8, or 10, or
52. That's also irrelevant.

What's relevant is the revision in which the change occurred that you
want to merge, and the path in the repository where the change was
made. In your case, it happened in revision 4 of Branches/Bug_Fixes.
Revision 4 has the change; the revision before that, revision 3, did
not have the change. So, to construct a diff that applies the change,
you need to ask for a difference between revisions 3 and 4, rooted at
the Branches/Bug_Fixes path, because that corresponds to the path of
the working copy of Trunk that you have now (because Branches/
Bug_Fixes was at one time a copy of Trunk).

When you do the merge, the difference gets applied to your working
copy of Trunk, you commit it, and thus, the change that had occurred
in revision 4 of the branch has now been made to the trunk.

If it's still unclear, look more closely into what Subversion is
doing. Look at the diff it's generating:

svn diff -r3:4 \
svn://myserver/Development/Test_Project/Branches/Bug_Fixes

Convince yourself that the list of instructions printed by this
command are indeed the changes that you want performed on your
working copy of Trunk.

Re: Understanding merging.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On 26-Oct-05, at 11:08 AM, Anastasios Angelidis wrote:

> Ok it worked but I'm not exactly understanding why -r3:4. The
> working copy is at r5 and I want to merge r4 into it... to make the
> working copy finally r6. Maybe you can explain it differently? Thanks

If you want the changes in revision X  you merge rX-1:X... I.e. you
merge the changes that took you FROM revision X-1 TO revision X

Scott

Re: Subversion crashing on a copy command. Where are the logs?

Posted by Anastasios Angelidis <vo...@videotron.ca>.
Anastasios Angelidis wrote:

> John Szakmeister wrote:
>
>> On Monday 31 October 2005 20:24, Anastasios Angelidis wrote:
>> [snip]
>>

>>> Yeah regardless of the command it should not crash it. I guess I can
>>> report it...
>>>

>> If you run svnserve in the foreground (not as a service), you might
>> be able to get more information about why it's crashing.  Just a
>> thought. :-)
>>
>> -John
>>

> Voila!
>
> Assertion failed: is_canonical (base, blen), file
> C:\Home\brane\src\svn\releases\subversion-1.2.3\subversion\libsvn_subr\path.c,
> line 114
>
> abnormal program termination
>
> By the way the copy command is crashing this server using: -rMyRevNum
> --revision MyRevNum and even @MyRevNum

Ok it's added to the issue traker: Issue 2432

Re: Subversion crashing on a copy command. Where are the logs?

Posted by Anastasios Angelidis <vo...@videotron.ca>.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.

Posted by Anastasios Angelidis <vo...@videotron.ca>.
Joshua Varner wrote:

>On 10/31/05, Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 21:36, Anastasios Angelidis wrote:
>>

>>>Hi I'm running subversion svnserve, version 1.2.3 (r15833) as a windows
>>>service.
>>>
>>>When I run the following command: C:\SVNTesting>svn copy -r17
>>>svn://myserver/Test_Project/Trunk/index.html ./index.html
>>>

>>thats a little vague. I think, it should be
>>svn copy svn://myserver/Test_Project/Trunk/index.html@r17 ./index.html
>>

>This is right you need peg revisions, -r says cp the file represented
> by the URL svn://myserver/Test_Project/Trunk/index.html at revision
>17 to index.html. But that file does not exist.
>svn://myserver/Test_Project/Trunk/index.html@r17 means the file
>at svn://myserver/Test_Project/Trunk/index.html in rev 17.

Allthough with the copy command you can issue a -r even a --revision

Posted by Joshua Varner <jl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 21:36, Anastasios Angelidis wrote:
> Hi I'm running subversion svnserve, version 1.2.3 (r15833) as a windows
> service.
>
> When I run the following command: C:\SVNTesting>svn copy -r17
> svn://myserver/Test_Project/Trunk/index.html ./index.html
thats a little vague. I think, it should be
svn copy svn://myserver/Test_Project/Trunk/index.html@r17 ./index.html

> I get: svn: Can't read from connection: An existing connection was
> forcibly closed by the remote host.
>
> When I look at the Windows 2000 event viewer, I see: SVNService process
> ended prematurely: ("C:\Programming\Subversion\bin\svnserve.exe" "-d"
> "-r" "e:\\SVNRepositories")
>
> I can always reproduce this. I restart the service, I run some commands
> using Tortoise, to see that all is good. Then once I try the above copy
> command, bam!
hmmm, this is something we need to try to understand why. But, I dont
have the resources to try these out, right now. Maybe someone else could
give it a shot?

Regards,
Madan.

Subversion crashing on a copy command. Where are the logs?

Posted by Anastasios Angelidis <vo...@videotron.ca>.
Hi I'm running subversion svnserve, version 1.2.3 (r15833) as a windows
service.

When I run the following command: C:\SVNTesting>svn copy -r17
svn://myserver/Test_Project/Trunk/index.html ./index.html

I get: svn: Can't read from connection: An existing connection was
forcibly closed by the remote host.

When I look at the Windows 2000 event viewer, I see: SVNService process
ended prematurely: ("C:\Programming\Subversion\bin\svnserve.exe" "-d"
"-r" "e:\\SVNRepositories")

I can always reproduce this. I restart the service, I run some commands
using Tortoise, to see that all is good. Then once I try the above copy
command, bam!

Any ideas? Is there a log I can look at, so I can maybe report this.

By the way this is what I'm trying...

I deleted a file from revision 17 and now want to bring it back. As the
book sujests to use the copy command.

Thanks

Re: Understanding merging.

Posted by William Nagel <bi...@stagelogic.com>.
On Oct 26, 2005, at 10:08 AM, Anastasios Angelidis wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>

>> On Oct 26, 2005, at 15:54, Anastasios Angelidis wrote:
>>

>>> I run: svn log --verbose svn://myserver/Development/Test_Project
>>> and get listing below.
>>>
>>> I would like to merge r4 into r5 so I run: svn merge -r 4:5
>>> svn:// mtlw-angt-01/Development/Test_Project/Trunk But I get a
>>> blank  response. Bassically svn returns to the prompt again. What
>>> I'm I  doing wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>>> -- --
>>> r5 | tassoa | 2005-10-25 16:46:20 -0400 (Tue, 25 Oct 2005) | 1 line
>>> Changed paths:
>>>   M /Test_Project/Trunk/index.html
>>>
>>> Added new paragraph.
>>> -- --
>>> r4 | tassoa | 2005-10-25 16:44:57 -0400 (Tue, 25 Oct 2005) | 1 line
>>> Changed paths:
>>>   M /Test_Project/Branches/Bug_Fixes/index.html
>>>
>>> Fixed spelling mistake found in the <title> tag. Should read
>>> "Hello  World!" and not "Hello Wrld!".
>>> -- --
>>>

>> You're confused about terminology.
>>
>> A revision of the repository represents a point in time. At
>> revision  4, it looked one way, and at revision 5, it looked a
>> slightly  different way. Revisions are permanent and never get
>> changed again.
>>
>> In revision 4, you made a change to a file in a directory
>> Bug_Fixes  in the directory Branches. I assume what you want to do
>> is to make  that same change to the same file in the directory Trunk.
>>

> Yes
>

>> In that case, get a working copy of Trunk, go into it, and merge
>> the  change into the working copy:
>>
>> cd /path/to/working/copy/of/Trunk
>> svn merge -r3:4 svn://myserver/Development/Test_Project/Branches/
>> Bug_Fixes
>>
>> This means "Make a recipe that transforms revision 3 of the
>> Bug_Fixes  branch into revision 4, and apply that recipe to the
>> working copy I'm  in right now."
>>

> Ok it worked but I'm not exactly understanding why -r3:4. The
> working copy is at r5 and I want to merge r4 into it... to make the
> working copy finally r6. Maybe you can explain it differently? Thanks

You're thinking of a revision as a change.  It's not.  It's a static
state.  Let's say your repository is at revision 3.  Now, on
Thursday, you commit some changes.  The repository is now at revision
4, which represents the state of the repository with those changes
applied.  Then on Friday you make some modifications and commit
again.  Now you're at revision 5, with revision 4 representing the
state of the repository on Thursday and revision 3 representing the
state of the repository on Wednesday.

Ok, so you want to merge the changes that were applied in revision 4
to a branch.  Revision 4 by itself doesn't have any changes, though.
It's just a static snapshot of the repository as it looked on
Thursday.  What you really want to do is not merge "revision 4" but
rather merge the difference between revision 3 and revision 4, hence
the need to merge -r3:4.  If you instead wanted to merge all of the
changes that were applied in both revision 3 and 4 you'd want to
merge the difference between revisions 2 and 4 and would type -r2:4.
You can also merge the difference between revisions that are out of
order.  For example, you could type "merge -r4:3", which would do a
reverse diff from 4 to 3 (you can use this to remove a revision from
the head).

Ok, now that I've probably thoroughly confused you, let me try to
state things slightly more simply:

Merge takes two revisions and creates a diff of those two revisions
(similar to if you'd used the diff command).  It then applies that
diff to the current working copy (similar if you'd used the patch
command).  So, the "-rX:Y" doesn't tell merge to merge from X into
Y.  Instead, it tells merge to merge the difference between X and Y
into the local working copy.

-Bill

Re: Understanding merging.

Posted by Anastasios Angelidis <vo...@videotron.ca>.

Re: Understanding merging.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Understanding merging.

Posted by Anastasios Angelidis <vo...@videotron.ca>.
I run: svn log --verbose svn://myserver/Development/Test_Project and get
listing below.

I would like to merge r4 into r5 so I run: svn merge -r 4:5
svn://mtlw-angt-01/Development/Test_Project/Trunk But I get a blank
response. Bassically svn returns to the prompt again. What I'm I doing
wrong?

Thanks

r5 | tassoa | 2005-10-25 16:46:20 -0400 (Tue, 25 Oct 2005) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /Test_Project/Trunk/index.html

Added new paragraph.
r4 | tassoa | 2005-10-25 16:44:57 -0400 (Tue, 25 Oct 2005) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /Test_Project/Branches/Bug_Fixes/index.html

Fixed spelling mistake found in the <title> tag. Should read "Hello
World!" and not "Hello Wrld!".
r3 | tassoa | 2005-10-25 16:39:48 -0400 (Tue, 25 Oct 2005) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   A /Test_Project/Branches/Bug_Fixes (from /Test_Project/Trunk:2)

Fix spelling mistake in the title of the page.
r2 | tassoa | 2005-10-25 16:35:09 -0400 (Tue, 25 Oct 2005) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /Test_Project/Trunk/index.html

Started the html code for the home page.
r1 | tassoa | 2005-10-25 16:31:48 -0400 (Tue, 25 Oct 2005) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   A /Test_Project
   A /Test_Project/Branches
   A /Test_Project/Tags
   A /Test_Project/Trunk
   A /Test_Project/Trunk/index.html

Initial import.

Re: Locking notification

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 26, 2005, at 15:11, George G Mills wrote:

> What version server and client supports needs-lock?
>
> We are running 1.1.x

Locking support first appeared in Subversion 1.2.0, so you'd best
upgrade to the current version, 1.2.3.

Re: Locking notification

Posted by George G Mills <mi...@appliedbiosystems.com>.
Thanks, that will do the trick. I was aware that locking an existing lock
would get notified.

What version server and client supports needs-lock?

We are running 1.1.x

Johan Appelgren <jo...@gmail.com>
10/26/2005 02:15 AM

cc

Subject
Re: Locking notification

On 10/26/05, George G Mills <mi...@appliedbiosystems.com> wrote:

> Svn Users,
>
> We are still new to svn and I wondered if there was a way that others
> connected to network can be notified of lock file if they attempt to
change
> it.
>
> Can a file or file type be tagged as requiring a lock to change? That
would
> do the trick too.
>
> The problem is too many files in C# .Net collide with developers and
don't
> merge well. Like XXXForm.cs, and xxx.csproj files.
>
> This is killing us.
>
> George

Read about the svn property needs-lock in the nightly build of the
subversion book:
<
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.props.special.needs-lock
>.

About notification, if a user tries to lock a file that is already
locked they will get notified that someone else already has a lock on
that file.

/Johan

Re: Locking notification

Posted by Johan Appelgren <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: lock owner

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 05:51, Johan Chaves Saborío wrote:
> C:\....\test\trunk>svn lock "myFile.txt"
> 'myFile.txt' locked by user 'myUserName'.
>
> C:\....\anotherTestLocation\trunk>svn lock "myFile.txt"
> svn: Lock request failed: 423 Locked (http://192.168.1.178)
Thx. Just wanted to confirm, if I was doing the right thing.

Regards,
Madan.

Re: lock owner

Posted by Johan Chaves Saborío <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Madan
did you find what is my problem??

is it happening only to me???

Re: lock owner

Posted by Johan Chaves Saborío <jo...@gmail.com>.

Locking notification

Re: lock owner

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.

Re: lock owner

Posted by Johan Chaves Saborío <jo...@gmail.com>.

> Johan : Could you give me the reproduction recipe pl.

I try to reproduce it with a new repository and get the same result.

I am under Windows XP client and a Windows XP server.
------------------------------
Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.8 SVN/1.2.3 DAV/2 Server at
10.200.90.119 <http://10.200.90.119> Port 80
------------------------------
TortoiseSVN 1.2.5, Build 4719 - 32 Bit
Subversion 1.2.3,
apr 0.9.6
apr-iconv 0.9.5
apr-utils 0.9.6
berkeley db 4.3.28
neon 0.24.7
OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
zlib 1.2.3
------------------------------

Re: lock owner

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 04:04, Johan Chaves Saborío wrote:
[snip]
> I am using:
>
> svn, version 1.2.3 (r15833)
>    compiled Aug 19 2005, 23:10:39

hmmm, I dont see how. The changes to this effect have been done at
r13185 and r14035. So, the binary you are mentioning should actually
have this change.

Any ideas how this could happen, anybody else?

Re: lock owner

Posted by Johan Chaves Saborío <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/25/05, Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 02:24, Johan Chaves Saborío wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > When I try to lock a file and somebody else has the lock of that file,
> > the error message don't say who has it...
> >
> > 1. How can I know who is the lock owner???
> >
> > 2. It would be very useful if that functionality is implemented!!! How
> > can I request it???
> Am able to see the following in the trunk. which version of the svn
> client are you using?
> svn: warning: Path '/dir1/file1' is already locked by user 'madan' in
> filesystem '/tmp/svn-repos/db'
>
> I am using:

svn, version 1.2.3 (r15833)
compiled Aug 19 2005, 23:10:39

I get the following message:
svn: Lock request failed: 423 Locked (https://10.200.90.119)

Re: lock owner

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.

Re: lock owner

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 00:49, Johan Chaves Saborío wrote:
>         I can see who has the file locked....
>         What version of client are you using and what OS
are you asking me?
am on the trunk version (dev branch) on FC2. anyways, I think I'd give
this a shot with 1.2 too today.

Regards,
Madan.

Re: lock owner

Posted by Johan Chaves Saborío <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ok, dont worry

But, if I want to search myself, what can be wrong, the client or the server???

Re: lock owner

Posted by Johan Chaves Saborío <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Madan,

while looking at the issue list for release 1.3.0, i found this one

http://subversion.tigris.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2275

i think we have different revisions installed. :-P

Re: lock owner

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.

Re: lock owner

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.
You forgot to mark the list in the recipients list. Doing so.
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 22:42, Johan Chaves Saborío wrote:
> mmm actually i was answering to plabonte....
I didnt see plabonte responding to the thread? maybe on private mails?

Re: lock owner

Posted by Johan Chaves Saborío <jo...@gmail.com>.

> I can see who has the file locked....
> What version of client are you using and what OS

I am using:

svn, version 1.2.3 (r15833)
compiled Aug 19 2005, 23:10:39

(TortoiseSVN 1.2.5, Build 4719 - 32 Bit)

under Windows XP