Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Skolnick <cl...@organic.com> on 1996/04/02 01:56:24 UTC

Re: Solaris Question (fwd)

>From those in the know at sun about the funny file for name stuff...
Looks like somethign top secret. :)  Usually stuff like this will get
documented in the next release.

And rememeber...you did not hear it from me....

"Doors" are a new fast local IPC mechanism in Solaris 2.5.   Doors are faster
than any other local IPC, including unix domain sockets. I believe the program
interfaces for using doors are undocumented in Solaris 2.5, but there are a
few services that use them.  One of these is the name service cache daemon
(/usr/sbin/nscd - see nscd(1m)).  The front-end library function
gethostbyname() and gethostbyaddr() make a door call to the nscd process, which
does the actual DNS lookup, and caches the result for other applications to
use.  That file "/etc/.name_service_door" is the filesystem entry for the door
that the library function uses to talk to the nscd process.