Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/20 16:24:51 UTC

[RELEASE] Tapestry 4.0-alpha-3

The latest alpha release of the Tapestry web application framework is
now available. This release fixes some minor problems in the prior
alpha release, and adds several important new features:

 * Submit components by default defer invoking their listener until
the end of the form submission.
 * Submit components can pass listener parameters into listener methods.
 * Meta data and parsed script templates can now be injected into
pages and components.
 * Listener methods are now invoked in a pipeline that can be extended.
 * Validator objects can now be specified using a validator: binding prefix.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: [RELEASE] Tapestry 4.0-alpha-3

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Nope; you can't and probably will never be able to do that.

The injection mentioned allows the contents of <meta> tags in the XML
to be injected as page properties. Also, you can refrence a script
template (a .script file) and have injected into your class a parsed
version of it, ready to be executed.

Because of how Tapestry pools pages, which is critical to runtime
efficiency and many other aspects of the framework, you won't be able
to modify the structure of a page at runtime, any more than you could
modify a Java class file while its loaded and in use in the JVM.

Using Block and RenderBlock, and other techniques, you can be very
dynamic in controlling what renders when.  In fact, all my most recent
traning clients (Autodesk, Ping Identity and SunTrust) use this
technique to dynamically assemble and process forms from
database-stored meta-data.  While not trivial to do in Tapestry, it is
quite tractable once you have the Tapestry epiphany moment and see
Tapestry as it really is: object soup, not streams of characters. I'd
really like to get a prototype of this out, to spur interest in
Tapestry, help people out, and demonstrate one of the things that is
possible to do in Tapestry that is nearly impossible in other
frameworks.

Posted by Ben Eng <be...@jetpen.com>.

Posted by Ben Eng <be...@jetpen.com>.