Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by David Wartell <da...@actionwebservices.com> on 2001/08/07 23:37:29 UTC

possible to change virtualhost and serverwide configuration without restarting?

Is it possible in Apache 2.0 to change Apache configuration without restarting?
I am particularly interested in making a change that can't be done from a .htaccess file like adding a virtual host or changing the
maxclients or ThreadsPerChild.

If not would it be possible to write a module using the Apache 2.0 API that could accomplish this?

Any feedback appreciated.

I sincerely hope this is not a FAQ, I have checked all of the documentation I can find on 2.0 and have previosuly asked in the news
groups.

Thank you,
David

Re: possible to change virtualhost and serverwide configuration without restarting?

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.
mod_ssl hasn't been finished yet, and is still under massive development.  If that is the
only thing keeping it from working, I would consider that a bug with mod_ssl.

Ryan

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@weirdness.com>.
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> What happens if you do it without mod_ssl?
>
> Ryan

Appears to work.

--
Jerry Baker

PGP Key: http://www.jerrybaker.org/pgp.html

LAME MP3 Encoder Binaries: http://www.jerrybaker.org/lame/
Apache 2.0 Web server Installer: http://www.jerrybaker.org/apache/

Re: possible to change virtualhost and serverwide configuration without restarting?

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.

On Wednesday 08 August 2001 14:56, Jerry Baker wrote:
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > Those docs are wrong.  :-)  I have seen messages that state that it is
> > possible using apache -k.  I have a feeling we just haven't been keeping
> > the docs up to date recently.
> >
> > Ryan
>
> I just tried it. With Apache already running and using another window to
> do apache -k graceful, I get an error that mod_ssl.so cannot be found.

> > Those docs are wrong.  :-)  I have seen messages that state that it is possible using
> > apache -k.  I have a feeling we just haven't been keeping the docs up to date recently.
> >
> > Ryan
>
> I just tried it. With Apache already running and using another window to
> do apache -k graceful, I get an error that mod_ssl.so cannot be found.

Win32 always attempts a graceful restart, IIRC.  -k stop/-k start is a hard restart
(which is what the service control manager's own 'restart' button accomplishes.)

Bill

Re: possible to change virtualhost and serverwide configuration without restarting?

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@weirdness.com>.

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@weirdness.com>.

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@remulak.net>.
David Wartell wrote:

> Is it possible in Apache 2.0 to change Apache configuration without restarting?
> I am particularly interested in making a change that can't be done from a .htaccess file like adding a virtual host or changing the
> maxclients or ThreadsPerChild.

That's what we call a "graceful restart".  The idea is that any http
requests that are currently being served continue to be served, but
other idle server threads/processes are shut down.  Apache then re-reads
& parses the config file, and starts up new processes and threads which
use the new config information

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, David Wartell wrote:
> I sincerely hope this is not a FAQ, I have checked all of the documentation I can find on 2.0 and have previosuly asked in the news
> groups.

Yes, and you got the correct answer in the newsgoup.  Is there something
about that answer that you didn't understand?

Joshua.