Posted to users@maven.apache.org by James Hughes <ja...@db.com> on 2004/05/07 15:43:39 UTC

compatible jars

Does Maven provide a mechanism for documenting/specifying compatible
artifacts across groups in a repository?

For example, the struts distribution bundles a number of jars from jakarta
commons.  This implies that the struts jar/runtime depends on particular
versions of the commons jars, but if I am putting struts into my local
repository for the first time I have to split up this grouping into it's
constituents, thus losing the implicit documentation of strut's
dependencies.  Now when I come back in a year's time to create a new
project which uses struts, I have to figure out the compatible jars from
scratch.  Is there anything in Maven to help me with this problem?

Thanks,
James.

Re: compatible jars

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl>.
James Hughes wrote:

>Does Maven provide a mechanism for documenting/specifying compatible
>artifacts across groups in a repository?
>
>For example, the struts distribution bundles a number of jars from jakarta
>commons.  This implies that the struts jar/runtime depends on particular
>versions of the commons jars, but if I am putting struts into my local
>repository for the first time I have to split up this grouping into it's
>constituents, thus losing the implicit documentation of strut's
>dependencies.  Now when I come back in a year's time to create a new
>project which uses struts, I have to figure out the compatible jars from
>scratch.  Is there anything in Maven to help me with this problem?

Yes and no. That's one of the reasons why POM exists. All dependencies
of given artifact are listed there.
The problem is that still we don't have POMs in repositories. We hope
this will change soon.

Michal

Re: compatible jars

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Why not just use a groupId of struts for the commons jars?
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting