Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Erik Holstad <er...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/03 19:46:08 UTC

Number of versions to fetch in one get call.

For the new client server implementation I'm currently using 1 byte to store
the number of versions to get, that can of course be
changed to whatever number. Would just be nice to hear in what order we
should put this limit and how actually versions should
be used and thought of.

Regards Erik

Re: Number of versions to fetch in one get call.

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
I've heard of people theorizing storing thousands of versions in a cell.
I'm not sure the time dimention is the best way to actually store time
series data. Its substandard query mechanism would make it hard to do date
range queries.

I think the time dimension is best left to versioning. In which case, the
question is will the range -128 to 127 store enough data for version
queries? Basically limit us to "return all or 254 versions."