Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2014/10/08 07:54:52 UTC

SDK/Installer release

Hi,

I’m currently planning on doing an SDK-only release. However, Justin threw
a whole bunch of Installer bugs into the JIRA. So, my question is:

Can we release the SDK, without simultaneously releasing the Installer?

Thanks,

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: SDK/Installer release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Stop hijacking other threads ;-)

Please create a dedicated thread to talk about this issue, otherwise
valuable information will get lost between the two current threads and the
JIRA ticket this is being discussed in.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: SDK/Installer release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: SDK/Installer release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> That said, I think I have successfully implemented workarounds such that
> there is significantly less need to release the Installer, especially
> since we don¹t have a fix for this SourceForge issue.

While 4.13 is fixed 4.12 isn't (along with some earlier versions) and did you did see that the nightly SDK is currently broken? (ie you can't install it via the installer)

Caching in the installer is also now broken, making testing a lot slower.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: SDK/Installer release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/7/14, 11:09 PM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

>> > Can we release the SDK, without simultaneously releasing the
>>Installer?
>>
>> We can, but if people can't install it via the installer we're not going
>> to see much adoption.
>>

>My understanding was that Alex¹s work with Œant_on_air¹ removed the
>release
>dependency between the SDK and the Installer?
Well, yes, technically it did.  It made it possible for us to change many
things about how an SDK install works without a second vote for the
installer and requiring folks to upgrade the installer before installing
the SDK.

However, now when an install fails, you have to determine if it is an
issue with the ³execution engine² in the Installer (i.e., ant_on_air), or
in the script it is running.  The problem we are having with certain
SourceForge download URLs is an issue with the ant_on_air code.  The
SourceForge server no longer sees the request as a programmatic request
and instead responds as if it is a browser.  I spent the whole morning on
it and was unable to customize (actually remove) certain headers that AIR
puts in the request that I think are telling the server that we are a
browser.  Apache Ant can run the same Get task request successfully so we
know it isn¹t a script error.  A Charles Proxy session shows that AIR
sticks additional headers in the request.

That said, I think I have successfully implemented workarounds such that
there is significantly less need to release the Installer, especially
since we don¹t have a fix for this SourceForge issue.  I¹d say we can just
release the SDK without the Installer, but there might be some issue in
that list that is more important than I currently think it is.

-Alex

Trivial Installer Task

Posted by Neil Madsen <li...@cranialinteractive.com>.
Could a committer (Justin, Alex, Om) take a look at this task [1] and commit
the file I attached.
It's marked as trivial as it's just some formatting of the file.

Thanks
Neil

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34605

Re: SDK/Installer release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> My understanding was that Alex’s work with ‘ant_on_air’ removed the release
> dependency between the SDK and the Installer?

Not really as ant on air is also part of the installer, yes you can use command line ant to install but that's not the most common way of installing it. While I've not tested installing via ant given the issues we are having I would assume that installing via ant is also currently broken for some versions of the SDK.

Justin

Re: SDK/Installer release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Why do you say that people won’t be able to use the Installer?

Currently the installer fails to install the nightly build, 4.12.1, 4.11.0 and 4.9.1 SDKs. It may require some changes to work with the new release. It may be that the various issues can be fixed by changes to the installer config files with releasing the installer.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: SDK/Installer release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Re: SDK/Installer release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I’m currently planning on doing an SDK-only release. However, Justin threw
> a whole bunch of Installer bugs into the JIRA.

None of those bugs have to be fixed before we release, but there are a couple of minor regression issues in there and some other issues which would be good to fix before we release. Most of them look fairly easy to fix if someone wants to give fixing them a try. At least one has a patch already supplied.

Re: SDK/Installer release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
> That said, if you are limited on time and think that getting a new sdk
> release it the door is the only thing you have time for, I think we can go
> for the sdk release first

I’m not in a hurry to release the SDK. I’m just taking inventory, making
sure I understand all requirements and work in progress before I start the
release process.

I want to avoid the traffic and confusion of doing the Installer and SDK
simultaneously or even sequentially but close together. I think doing the
two releases separately will greatly improve community involvement in both
and will also benefit the project by removing the need for “quick hacks” to
fix stuff to prevent the other release being held up too long.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: SDK/Installer release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 7, 2014 10:55 PM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m currently planning on doing an SDK-only release. However, Justin threw
> a whole bunch of Installer bugs into the JIRA. So, my question is:
>
> Can we release the SDK, without simultaneously releasing the Installer?

I think fixing the current Installer issues is more pressing than releasing
the flex-sdk.

If we do it simultaneously, it would be even better.

That said, if you are limited on time and think that getting a new sdk
release it the door is the only thing you have time for, I think we can go
for the sdk release first

Thanks,
Om