Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com> on 2014/09/09 16:24:54 UTC

recent changes at Citrix

Hi all

[writing as Giles, the community member, NOT as a PMC member or in any sort of official capacity]

As I'm sure many of you are aware, there has been some recent management changes within Citrix cloud with Sameer, Shannon and Sheng all departing. I've enjoyed getting to know these guys over the past couple of years and I wish them well in what they decide to do in the future

Whats this got to do with *APACHE* Cloudstack ?
Well, in the last few days, some commentators & bloggers have added up 2 with 2 and come up with 1064. They've then done it again and come up with another 1064.

If you believe these guys, some personnel changes at Citrix means that CloudStack is doomed and we're not going to have a project to work on. The world is going to stop.
http://images.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/cloudstack-losing-openstack-takes-its-ball-and-goes-home-249978?source=rss_cloud_computing

As you all know, CloudStack is much much more than a Citrix project these days.  Whilst we all acknowledge here the valuable contribution that Citrix make by allowing many people here to be involved in this project: it is very important to remember that we are a community of individual contributors. Our PMC, committers and contributors continue to be drawn from a wider and wider pool of organisations .

I see user adoption increasing, downloads I'm told are increasing and our developer community getting more and more active & diverse.
Personally, I find it quite insulting to all of the people who work so hard here that a "journalist" could paint the picture that CloudStack is all about 3 people (however instrumental guys like Sheng were initially)

I don't work for Citrix, so I can't comment on whether there is a change in heart there, but   the fact that these guys leaving more or less exactly 3 years after the cloud.com acquisition says to me that this is something that was always going to happen and is not too much to worry about.

Obviously, this is just attempt by these commentators to grab some headlines.  BUT - it is creating negative PR about CloudStack. Right now

*CALL TO ARMS*
As we don't have a big marketing machine, it would be good if everybody in this community could do a little PR work on twitter, etc. over the next few days.

The key things to get the world to understand are:

-          Cloudstack is NOT a Citrix project. Changes that Citrix make are irrelevant to an Apache project

-          Cloudstack is successful

-          #cloudstackworks

-          Many other organisations support cloudstack

-          Cloudstack is the most widely deployed IaaS software (feel free to use examples)

Kind Regards
Giles

Giles Sirett
CEO

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com/> | Twitter:@shapeBlue<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.