Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Frank van Lankvelt <f....@onehippo.com> on 2010/09/29 12:09:25 UTC

wicket and ext-js

I'm in the process of integrating Ext-JS into our Wicket application.   So
there are a number of questions, such as:
What are your experiences of using wicket and ext together?
Do these projects help at all, or do you rather roll a custom behavior each
time?
Is there some project that is not indexed by Google (see below)?
Are there some fundamental problems one runs into when building more complex
UIs?

I found two projects that provide an integration;
- wicket-ext at http://code.google.com/p/wicket-ext/
- wicket-extjs-integration
http://code.google.com/p/wicket-extjs-integration/
Neither of these is very active, but I'm hoping that some of you have
experience with them.

The wicket-ext project has lots of widgets already integrated, but I don't
really understand the reason for creating two hierarchies; one of Components
and one of Behaviors.  It seems to me that mapping ext components onto
wicket components should be sufficient; behaviors can then be added to
provide services to the client-side code.

The wicket-extjs-integration project is in its infancy, but has a lot of
potential; it maps ext components directly onto wicket components, has been
explicitly designed to do composition and even has a nice way of invoking
ext client-side methods from server-side code.  I also like the
annotation-based configuration of the client-side components.

I would like to continue work on the second approach, but would like to get
some feeling for the task at hand first ;-)

thanks, Frank

--
Hippo
Europe  •  Amsterdam  Oosteinde 11  •  1017 WT Amsterdam  •  +31 (0)20 522

Re: wicket and ext-js

Posted by Fabio Fioretti <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Frank,

Sorry for the late reply. We are currently migrating our main
application from Wicket 1.3 to 1.4 and contextually upgrading
ext-wicket. This might eventually be the right occasion to update the
project, though we are still targetting Ext 2.2.

With regard to behaviors and components, we felt it was useful to keep
them separate in spite of a small overhead, as it is always easy to
merge them but much more complicated to extract a behavior from a
component. Anyway, ext-wicket was born to help up support Ext-JS
components we found interesting for our applications, and not to
provide a clean and complete mapping of Ext features into Wicket.
Therefore, its architecture is far from perfect!

Is your integration effort moving forward?

Kind regards,
Fabio

Re: wicket and ext-js

Posted by Frank van Lankvelt <f....@onehippo.com>.
hi Fabio,

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Fabio Fioretti <windom.macrosorch@gmail.com

Re: wicket and ext-js

Posted by Fabio Fioretti <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: wicket and ext-js

Posted by Frank van Lankvelt <f....@onehippo.com>.
I haven't; the main reason being that we are using Ext-JS for another
application we're developing and we'ld like to limit the number of
technologies in our stack.  We are already using a mix of custom developed
javascript functionality and some standard YUI 2 components.

A major motivation for moving to Ext is the large number of components it
has.  Of course, these will all have to be integrated into Wicket
separately, but the hope is that a set of suitable helpers/abstractions can
help keep the development costs low.

cheers, Frank

Re: wicket and ext-js

Posted by Alexander Morozov <al...@gmail.com>.