Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Florian Müller <fl...@alfresco.com> on 2011/02/23 13:04:56 UTC

TLP releases

Hi all,

We are ticking off more and more tasks that are related to the graduation.
But there is still one big open topic: TLP releases

When do we think can and should we release OpenCMIS and cmislib without "incubating" label?

Can we just take the current code and release it? There shouldn't be too many changes since the last releases.
Even though the release processes are now slightly different and we have to adjust the release packages a bit, it shouldn't take too long to prepare the releases.

Opinions?

Cheers,

Florian

RE: TLP releases

Posted by Jens Hübel <jh...@opentext.com>.
Hi Florian,

sounds good to me. I will take the extension of the query parser after our first TLP release (will open a JIRA for this). As we have now done the migration to the new documentation framework I also can contribute a few things there.

I think that nothing prevents us from integrating the 1.1 extensions soon. We could turn off the JSON binding by default and I don't think that the type mutability would cause any harm for anyone. Likely this requires more discussion however.

In summary let us go forward with new release quickly and then fix some stuff for a 1.0 release.

Jens

Posted by Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi guys,
I'm starting works with the 0.3.0 next release, see my comments below:

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Florian Müller <
florian.mueller@alfresco.com> wrote:

> Looks like we want and can do new releases...
>

> Re OpenCMIS release:
> I think we should do a release similar to 0.2 and deal with the
> documentation later in 0.4. (See below.)
> @Gab: Would you drive that?

Yep, I edited https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMIS-305 to gather all
the build/release updates to do for a TLP release. I should be able to fix
today or Monday latest.

I was also thinking to give a try to the build with Maven3. I opened an
improvement (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMIS-322) but not
scheduled it yet, it's definitely *not* for 0.3.0.

<snip/>

> Re documentation (of OpenCMIS):
> The documentation is our weak point. I think we should go for a more
> structured approach.
> How about coming up with a new documentation outline? That would help us
> identifying the gaps and we can divide the work amongst us. Opinions?
>
> With the move to the Apache CMS, the website and therefore all our
> documentation pages are now in SVN.
> We don't actually need to grab it from the website anymore. We can check it
> out, apply a template (which need not to be the website template) and
> generate the documentation as part of the release.

I created a documentation design page in staging

http://chemistry.staging.apache.org/java/documentation-lifecycle.html

which just waits for your edits and suggestions. Would be great if some can
consolidate there also the new outline Florian suggest, if we go down that
path.

I proposed there a possible simplification / alignment of the documentation
release, by using per version documentation snapshots (since Apache CMS is
SVN).
When we get to an agreement there we can open an issue and schedule it
(maybe 0.4.0?).

> Re tests:
> Yes, we have a lot of tests but they are spread. I agree we should
> consolidate them.
> Similar to the documentation, I think we need a plan and objectives. Does
> somebody feel strongly enough about this to work on a proposal?

I think this could be better handled by the Maven site build, which is
supposed to aggregate all tests in one or few reachable pages.

BTW in this arena test reports were completely broken for 0.2.0-incubating
so I'll try to quickly fix this (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMIS-323) for 0.3.0 or move it to
0.4.0.

> Re fulltext query parser:
> I agree.
> @Jens: Do we have a JIRA issue for that? Would you take that? You know the
> parser better than most of us...
>

> Re DotCMIS:
> All operations are implemented and basic tests are working against Alfresco
> and IBM FileNet. But the test coverage isn't great yet.
> We could either cut a release now and fix potential bugs later ("release
> early, release often") or do more testing and delay the first release.
> Opinions?
>

> Re roadmap:
> I think we should have one. :)
> In particular, we have to think about CMIS 1.1. For example, we could
> integrate the Browser Binding code now without endangering CMIS 1.0
> compatibility.
> Any takers? Would JIRA be a good tool to maintain a roadmap?

I think the Jira roadmap [1] works nicely if we properly use the "fix for"
field.

But we 1st need to do a re-factoring which was already discussed in the list
in the past, i.e. *having separate Jira projects for the different Chemistry
subprojects*.

This will allow single projects to use Jira versions and components in the
best way. And then we could aggregate subprojects roadmaps in a main Roadmap
CMS page in the public site.

WDYT? Shall we follow up this request for Jira projects for cmis-php-lib,
cmislib and dotCMIS?

Eager to hear your thoughts,
Gab

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/brows/CMIS#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel

Re: TLP releases

Posted by Florian Müller <fl...@alfresco.com>.

Re: TLP releases

Posted by Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi,

RE: TLP releases

Re: TLP releases

Posted by Jeff Potts <je...@gmail.com>.
I can't quickly release what's in cmislib head right now as a new release, but I could take the recent 0.4 release and release it as 0.4.1 without the incubating labels.

Jeff

RE: TLP releases

Posted by Jens Hübel <jh...@opentext.com>.
I do not see any big issues with going forward with a 0.3.0 TLP release. I agree to Gabriele that we need to fix the documentation for 1.0. How far is the .Net implementation? Is this something to be ready for a release?

For the roadmap a few more points are coming into my mind:
 - Include fulltext query to the parser
 - Rethink project structure for Java (simplification: e.g. do we really need 6 different test projects)
 - Rethink our test strategy (why TCK and fit for example? We have started a lot but some are not really finished and there is not much activity)
 - I would appreciate if we have an examples sub-project for making adoption easier and extending the documentation
- need to agree on when/how we want to merge with the CMIS 1.1 branches

Jens