Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by "dale.chang13" <da...@outlook.com> on 2016/05/05 11:41:53 UTC

Deallocation of FlowFiles

Is there a way to free up resources (memory and disk space in repos like
content_repo, flowfile_repo) at the conclusion of a NiFi flow? I would like
to reclaim those resources quickly so I can reuse them for newer FlowFiles.

Re: Deallocation of FlowFiles

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Regarding disk space for content:

You can certainly change the settings in nifi.properties to have the
content archive turned off which means content will be removed from
the file system as soon as it is no longer actively referenced in the
flow.  However, this probably is not that helpful because in reality
the content will be purged based on need anyway for those items which
are no longer actively reachable.

Regarding disk space for flow files:

This is a write ahead log and as such items no longer
referenced/needed will get reclaimed during snapshot intervals which
generally happen quite often so it is going to use just the space it
needs.

Regarding disk space for provenance:

You can control how much disk space is used for provenance and it will
roll things off to adhere to that setting.  You can also make
provenance not persistent if you like by using the volatile provenance
repo which just keeps some configurable number of provenance events.

Regarding memory (java heap):
- This will get reclaimed as soon as the objects are no longer
actively in use.  You can change nifi.properties settings to reduce
the amount of heap used to store things like component status events
which just means it will keep less status history.  But otherwise the
heap usage should pretty closely align to what is actively in the
flow.

Thanks
Joe