Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hein Behrens <in...@curvaciones.com> on 2005/04/01 08:32:25 UTC

Re: SSL configuration question

I thought the two are not related my key is stored in the java keystore. I
did everything with keytool, part of java.

Tomcat only needs the password and name.

The SSL certificate is not generated for or by tomcat.

Hein

Posted by Mikhail Kruk <me...@cs.brandeis.edu>.
> I thought the two are not related my key is stored in the java keystore. I
> did everything with keytool, part of java.
>
> Tomcat only needs the password and name.
>
> The SSL certificate is not generated for or by tomcat.

Getting a valid certificate is a four step process.
1) Generate private key (keytool -genkey)
	this puts a private key into your keystore. It's secret, hide it.
2) Generate certificate request (keytool -certreq)
	creates a file which contains information about you (common name,
	city, state etc) and the public key which corresponds to private
	key from step 1
3) submit the request from step 2 to the authority (Thawte, Verisign...)
4) get signed certificate from the authority and import it into the
keystore (keytool -import)

For step 4 to work correctly the keystore must contain the private key
from step 1.  You can't generate private key in a Apache and then import
corresponding certificate into Tomcat -- you must first move the private
key from Apache to Tomcat.