Posted to history@apache.org by Thomas Eibner <th...@stderr.net> on 2002/06/12 05:38:00 UTC

ROADMAP

To get something rolling I'm posting the initial roadmap for what Rich
and I envisioned for the History Project.

--start roadmap

The History Project aims to research and collect information related to:

General History of Apache httpd
  * Before Apache
  * Why Apache
  * Initial Development Team
  * How Apache became one of the most successful OSS projects to date
  * Changes in Development Environment (1
  * Casestudy: Apache Development model (and how it has evolved)

Apache httpd Release timeline
  * Release Date
  * Changelog / Release notes
  * Tarball
  * Usage statistics
  * Other Important Release informaton
      Version
      Release Manager
      Security Fixes
      New Directives
      Changed Directives
      State (Alpha/Beta/GA)
      Etc.

Apache Software Foundation History
  * How ASF was formed, legal issues. (2 (3
  * Project Profiles
  * Member Profiles
      First List Post
      Description of work done for project

Subprojects History
  * Convince at least one person from each project to participate and
    maintain history of that project.
  * Short historical description
  * Usage statistics
  * Same project parts as the httpd history projects

Quote collection from development lists
  * Historical comments
  * Funny comments

(1 Jim:
Also useful, I think, would be a description of how the actual
coding environment changed, from people submitting patches and one
person being responsible for folding them into the code, the
"3 +1s" required for a patch to be included, review-then-commit
vs. commit-then-review, etc...

(2 Mads:
[15:37] <quasi> That could actually be _very_ interesting - along with stuff
          about how the foundation was formed - legal issues and stuff

(3 Rich:
[15:38] <DrBacchus> quasi: Actually, it's one of the *most* important things,
          in my mind, as it falls under the "what works, what doesn't work,
          why Apache is successful" header.
[15:48] <DrBacchus> One of the most important roles that Apache plays, apart
          from being a damned fine product, is as a model of how OSS projects
          are *supposed* to work.
[15:48] <DrBacchus> Folks inside the project often don't see that aspect of
          things.

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer> <http://photos.eibner.dk/>

Re: ROADMAP

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Thomas Eibner wrote:

> To get something rolling I'm posting the initial roadmap for what Rich
> and I envisioned for the History Project.

First, many thanks for putting this together. This will be very helpful
going forward. (Geez, I sound like a manager.)

> --start roadmap
>
> The History Project aims to research and collect information related to:
>
> General History of Apache httpd
>   * Before Apache

We're received some correspondance from Rob McCool regarding the NCSA
project, and have gotten his approval to use it in whatever fashion we
see fit. I will attempt to write some of that up, along with the details
that we have derived from the NCSA archives.

I'm not sure how far we want to go back, but the www-talk mail archives
are amusing reading whether or not we use any of that stuff. *somebody*
needs to write summaries of those archives.

>   * Why Apache

Rob partially answered this question.

>   * Initial Development Team
>   * How Apache became one of the most successful OSS projects to date

I want to reiterate that, at least to me, this is one of the most
important points. History is interesting for its own sake, but it most
useful of we, and others, can learn from it.

>   * Changes in Development Environment (1
>   * Casestudy: Apache Development model (and how it has evolved)
>
> Apache httpd Release timeline
>   * Release Date
>   * Changelog / Release notes
>   * Tarball
>   * Usage statistics

I think that we can/should contact Netcraft and see what we can do,
other than just linking to their web site. They seem reasonable folks.

>   * Other Important Release informaton
>       Version
>       Release Manager
>       Security Fixes
>       New Directives
>       Changed Directives
>       State (Alpha/Beta/GA)
>       Etc.
>
> Apache Software Foundation History
>   * How ASF was formed, legal issues. (2 (3
>   * Project Profiles
>   * Member Profiles
>       First List Post
>       Description of work done for project

We need to be very careful about this for a number of reasons. We don't
want to imply greater importance of one person or another, to imply that
volume, or ancientness, of mail postings, are somehow proportional to
personal value, or otherwise infer that any one person has contributed
less importantly. While I know that we will not do this intentionally,
some people take offense at funny things.

> Subprojects History
>   * Convince at least one person from each project to participate and
>     maintain history of that project.
>   * Short historical description
>   * Usage statistics
>   * Same project parts as the httpd history projects

Some projects will be easier than others, and, indeed, some have already
said that they are interested. Others are less forthcoming. IMHO, the
Java project in particular will be interesting - trying to unravel where
it is today is a hard enough task. Understanding how it got there could
be very enlightening.

> Quote collection from development lists
>   * Historical comments
>   * Funny comments

There are a *lot* of the latter. I suppose we should send them to the
mailing list tagged in some fashion, such as [QUOTE] in the title, so
that they are easy to re-collect later.

--
Who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows