Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Van Riper, Mike" <mv...@verisign.com> on 2003/05/09 21:10:46 UTC

[BEER] Best beer joint in SF near Moscone Center?

Friday is the perfect day to initiate this discussion. I'm looking for
recommendations of places to drink beer for the 4pm Struts User gathering on
Friday, June 13th, at the end of the JavaOne conference in San Francisco.
Places within walking distance of the Moscone Center would be ideal. I've
been told that the Thirsty Bear is not bad:

  http://www.thirstybear.com/
  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/review/910/

The good news is that it is practically right next door to Moscone Center.
The bad news is that it is practically right next door to Moscone Center.
:-) This means it will probably be pretty busy right after the conference.

Another place I've been told about is the Pied Piper Bar in the Palace
Hotel. This would still be within walking distance of Moscone, but, it is a
few blocks away:

  http://www.sfpalace.com/main/location.htm
  http://www.sfpalace.com/main/dining.htm
  (scroll down and check out the virtual tour)

I'm not sure who was voting, but, their site claims it was voted one of the
"World's Seven Greatest Bars." It seems like it might be an interesting
place to meet, but, it also is described as having a "rich clubby
atmosphere" which doesn't quite jive with my perception of the beer drinkers
on this list.

Anyway, I'm looking for feedback on these two places and recommendations of
other places too.

Cheers,
  Mike Van Riper
  Silicon Valley Struts User Group
  http://www.baychi.org/bof/struts/

Re: [BEER] Best beer joint in SF near Moscone Center?

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vc...@baseBeans.com>.
What was the name of the last year Jakarta beer place? That was nice, I
thought.
.V

struts@daydream.stanford.edu wrote:

>Thirsty Bear will be crazy. I've seen waits there for over an hour or 2
>just to sit down. The other place seemed a little stodgy.
>
>May I suggest Jillian's, which is the sports bar at the Sony Metreon. It's
>at 4th and Mission. That would only be 2 or 3 blocks away.
>
>I could only find this link for some info and a pic. It's a PDF.
>http://www.metreon.com/about/pdf/metreon_taste_sf.pdf
>
>Also, it looks like I can make it so am looking forward to it.
>
>Oscar Carrillo
>

>On Fri, 9 May 2003, Van Riper, Mike wrote:
>

>>Friday is the perfect day to initiate this discussion. I'm looking for
>>recommendations of places to drink beer for the 4pm Struts User gathering on
>>Friday, June 13th, at the end of the JavaOne conference in San Francisco.
>>Places within walking distance of the Moscone Center would be ideal. I've
>>been told that the Thirsty Bear is not bad:
>>
>>  http://www.thirstybear.com/
>>  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/review/910/
>>
>>The good news is that it is practically right next door to Moscone Center.
>>The bad news is that it is practically right next door to Moscone Center.
>>:-) This means it will probably be pretty busy right after the conference.
>>
>>Another place I've been told about is the Pied Piper Bar in the Palace
>>Hotel. This would still be within walking distance of Moscone, but, it is a
>>few blocks away:
>>
>>  http://www.sfpalace.com/main/location.htm
>>  http://www.sfpalace.com/main/dining.htm
>>  (scroll down and check out the virtual tour)
>>
>>I'm not sure who was voting, but, their site claims it was voted one of the
>>"World's Seven Greatest Bars." It seems like it might be an interesting
>>place to meet, but, it also is described as having a "rich clubby
>>atmosphere" which doesn't quite jive with my perception of the beer drinkers
>>on this list.
>>
>>Anyway, I'm looking for feedback on these two places and recommendations of
>>other places too.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>  Mike Van Riper
>>  Silicon Valley Struts User Group
>>  http://www.baychi.org/bof/struts/

Vic Cekvenich,
Struts Instructor,
1-800-917-JAVA

Advanced <a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Training</a> and project recovery in North East.
Open Source <a href ="baseBeans.com">Content Management</a>  basic
Portal sofware
Best practice<a href ="baseBeans.com">Supported Struts v.1.1</a>
framework ScafflodingXPress

Re: [BEER] Best beer joint in SF near Moscone Center?

Posted by st...@daydream.stanford.edu.