Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Shashi Kant <sk...@sloan.mit.edu> on 2009/06/04 14:03:56 UTC

P2P Lucene

Hi all,

I am writing to gauge the group's interest level in building a P2P
application using Lucene. Nothing fancy, just good old-fashioned P2P
search across one's social-network or work-network (very unlike
Gnutella, Kazaa etc.). The obvious business-case for this could be
many such as document sharing/location within organizations without
centralized repositories. As is well known - intentionally or
inadvertently - most documents are locked-up in individual computers
and such a tool could provide a powerful discovery mechanism.

I was thinking of create an F/OSS project leveraging Lucene and
Jabber/XMPP, but something far more lightweight than comparable
"groupware" projects with a dead-simple permission-based sharing
system. Lightweight simplicity being the operative words.

Just curious to see the interest level in collaborating on such an
effort, and/or sharing any other ideas where such an effort would be
helpful.

Thanks,
Shashi

skant@alum.mit.edu

Re: P2P Lucene

Posted by Ye Minjiao <ye...@gmail.com>.
Your idea about leveraging a user's current networks is very good.

That could make the data sharing be more specific, more focus on some common
interests shared in those networks.

I'll write to you off-list.

Ye Minjiao
eO0o.

Steven Wright<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/steven_wright.html>
- "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it."

Re: P2P Lucene

Re: P2P Lucene

Posted by Ye Minjiao <ye...@gmail.com>.
I guess sixearch might be the thing you are looking for...

http://sixearch.org/

Sixearch is a collaborative peer network application, which aims to address
the scalability and context limitations of centralized search engines and
also provides a complementary way for Web search.

 Sixearch uses the idea of modeling neighbor nodes by their content but
without assuming the presence of special directory hubs. As shown in Fig. 1,
each peer is both a (limited) directory hub and a content provider; it has
its own topical crawler guided by its user's information content and local
search engine. Peers communication is built on JXTA
<http://www.jxta.org/>platform . When a user submits a query, it is
first matched against the
local engine, and then routed to neighbor peers to obtain more results.
Ideally, the peer network should lead to the emergence of a clustered
topology by intelligent collaboration between the peers.
While traditional search engines such as Google and Yahoo provide access to
very large document collections, the Sixearch P2P Web search application
provides a complementary way for users to actively and collaboratively share
their own document collections. However, the Sixearch framework allows
traditional search engines to naturally be included as peers; such peers
would quickly emerge as reliable, trustworthy, and general authority nodes.

Ye Minjiao
eO0o.

George Bernard Shaw<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/george_bernard_shaw.html>
- "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the
support of Paul."

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com

Re: P2P Lucene

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.