Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com> on 2012/05/02 01:26:11 UTC

ANN: The third hbase 0.94.0 release candidate is available for download

The third 0.94.0 RC is available for download here: http://people.apache.org/~larsh/hbase-0.94.0-rc3/
(My gpg key is available from pgp.mit.edu. Key id: 7CA45750)

HBase 0.94 is a performance release, and there are some interesting new features as well.

It is wire compatible with 0.92.x. 0.92 clients should work with 0.94 servers and vice versa.

You can do a rolling restart to get your 0.92.x HBase up on this 0.94.0RC.

The full list of changes is available here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12316419

Please take this RC for a spin, check out the doc, etc, and vote +1/-1 by May 8th on whether we should release this as 0.94.0.

Thanks.

-- Lars

RE: ANN: The third hbase 0.94.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by rama krishna <ra...@hotmail.com>.
HiI will let you know which build exactly produced that problem.  When we upgraded the build with that of May 8th or May 7th(exact date i forgot)then we did not get that problem.
But one thing is flushes were very frequent and the system was heavily loaded.
RegardsRam

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
In my opinion this can be handled in a point release. It's not critical though important and not new functionality.

Best regards,

    - Andy

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.
Hi Devs

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.
See Inline..

Regards
Ram

[Ram] We found the same problem yesterday.  But just because we had a
workaround we did not raise and alarm on that.

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)

Posted by Mikael Sitruk <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi St.Ack
You asked for it :-)
So in case a RS goes down, the master will split the log and reassign the
regions to other RS, then each RS will replay the log, during this step the
regions are unavailable, and clients will got exceptions.
1. how the master will choose a RS to assign a region?
2. how many RS will be involved in this reassignment
3. client that got exception should renew their connections or they can
reuse the same one?
4. is there a way to figure out how long this split+replay will take
(either by formula at the design time of a deployment, or at runtime via
API asking the master for example)???

Thanks again
Mikael.S

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Mikael Sitruk <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Mikael Sitruk <mi...@gmail.com>.
Stack hi

Sorry for not being precise enough.
The point is that i'm trying to check the impact of HA scenarios. one of
them is when the master goes down.
That is true that the Master is not it the critical path of read/write
unless (please correct me if i'm wrong):
1. new client are trying to connect
2. split/merge occurs
3. another node fails.
So in case the master goes down and start back, i'm interested to
understand how long of unavailability the system will be (under the
scenario above)

For the second case where a RS is down, there is certainly impact on
performance/latency since now other RS need to handle the region of the RS
that is down.
Again i'm interested to understand the impact on performance/latency of the
system under failure of a component and for get/put and scan.

I hope it is clearer and make sense to you.
BTW if you have such graph can you post them??

Thanks
Mikael.S

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Mikael Sitruk <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.
+1 on adding release notes.  New RC is not required and even my intention
was not to take new RC.  Just a documentation on this would be enough.

Regards
Ram

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.
Hi

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.
Hi

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
OK, I'll change my tactic :)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@stumbleupon.com>.
Probably not.  The number for on cluster are just so close that it looks
like the only large differences in perf were on standalone installs.  Since
everywhere that talks about standalone talks about how it's not to be used
as a basis for performance evaluation I think things are fine.  0.94 looks
great and I would +1 it if I had a vote.

Also testing on 0.90 is harder to get everything set up; There's no
presplit in pe, so I'm not 100% sure that the numbers would be reliable.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@stumbleupon.com>.
14 machine

1 Master (nn 2nn jt hmaster)
13 slaves (dn tt rs) -> 4hhd's each with 2xQuad Core intel w/HT

Sampling of Configs:
-Xmx10G -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75 -XX:NewSize=256m
-XX:MaxNewSize=256m

hbase.hregion.memstore.flush.size = 2147483648
hbase.hregion.max.filesize = 2147483648
hbase.rpc.compression = snappy
dfs.client.read.shortcircuit = true
hbase.ipc.client.tcpnodelay = false

mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum = 17

The commands run to create the tables and run the tests should be in the
previous sheets.  It seem like the PerformanceEvaluation tests are pretty
noisy so I wouldn't trust the smaller runs on page 1; that's why I did the
larger runs on page 2.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@stumbleupon.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@stumbleupon.com>.