Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2014/08/20 22:44:24 UTC

Latest 2.1 and Datastax driver questions...

Hi All,

I have a couple of simple questions.

When will Cassandra 2.1 be released as GA?

Will there be a datastax CQL driver available then?

Will Cassandra 2.1 and Datastax CQL driver support nested selects? If not for a combination key table and detailed table (Star Schema) what is the fastest way to query without using heavy de-normalization?

Thanks!
-Tony

Re: Latest 2.1 and Datastax driver questions...

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Tyler that is good to know.

-Tony

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:20 AM, Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Will there be a datastax CQL driver available then?

The Python and C# drivers already have 2.1.0 versions available.  The Java driver has a 2.1-rc release, and should have a 2.1.0 final release soon.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax

Re: Latest 2.1 and Datastax driver questions...

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

DataStax <http://datastax.com/>

Re: Latest 2.1 and Datastax driver questions...

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Ok I was wondering if 2.0.9 install reuses the old tables. I am also wondering if Cassandra 2.0.9 is installed without any other Cassandra install present if the installed Cassandra will work. I always reload everything by scripts so I did that but wondering if I need to do what I mentioned above and not have any Cassandra present when I do an install.

In regards to usage of Cassandra I am taking a 2 step approach. One just try with one or two tables and get that to work then denormalize and test. I  have avoided doing anything bigger till I get a version 2.0.x that seems stable. I usually wait 6 months till I upgrade but have waited longer for 2.0.x since it I treated it as a major change.

I have maybe 100 tables in SQL Server and 2 in Cassandra right now to see how stable it is and measure performance against SQL Server. I am planning to move completely to Cassandra after 2.0.x has been out awhile and 2.1 when it was 2.1.2 but sounds like should wait til 2.1.6.

So thanks for the help.
-Tony

On , Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am planning to wait till 2.1 is released and for one or two minor releases that is why I have been on 1.2.5.

When I installed 2.0.9 I created everything via java scripts so as to avoid any issues and it does not use anything from the older one. Does Cassandra install do something with an older version I should be aware of? I will look at your link.

-Tony

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:10 PM, Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com> wrote:

When will Cassandra 2.1 be released as GA?

>Will there be a datastax CQL driver available then?
>

>Will Cassandra 2.1 and Datastax CQL driver support nested selects? If not for a combination key table and detailed table (Star Schema) what is the fastest way to query without using heavy de-normalization?

The form of your questions suggests you are planning to use a not-ready-for production version of Cassandra inappropriately.  Probably don't do that.

https://engineering.eventbrite.com/what-version-of-cassandra-should-i-run/

In general the answer to complex query questions in Cassandra is "heavy de-normalization", if you have a problem that you need to solve without "heavy de-normalization" then perhaps Cassandra is not for you.

=Rob

Re: Latest 2.1 and Datastax driver questions...

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith <
belliottsmith@datastax.com> wrote:

> The "run versions >= x.x.6" is IMO an out of date trope. Not only does 2.1
> have more than twice as many engineers working full time on it, and five
> times the QA engineers (which is cumulative with prior QA), we are also
> seeing many more users in the wild running release candidates and providing
> valuable feedback before release. This is evidenced by the fact there have
> been six release candidates, instead of just two for 2.0.

While I agree that Datastax is recently dedicating meaningful resources to
the QA side of Cassandra, I do not feel that it is controversial to say
that the QA of Cassandra as it relates to production operability has
historically been lacking. I feel much the same way about Cassandra QA that
Gandhi apocryphally felt about Western Civilization... I think it would be
a good idea.

Based on user reports and associated JIRA, the 2.0 series has been the
least stable series of Cassandra since 0.8 or so. It's wonderful that a
pre-release version has had slightly more testing than previous versions,
but IMO the proof is in the pudding. When there is an actual released
series of Cassandra in which I can recommend running a version under x.y.6
[1], I will be sure to stop linking that "trope."

=Rob
[1] (x.y.~8 for 2.0...)

Re: Latest 2.1 and Datastax driver questions...

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks that is really good to know and gives confidence to those of us that have hope for Cassandra. I still get comments from friends who wonder why I want to use it when Oracle is available. I tell them I am preparing for the future and willing to try and wait out for newer better releases.

Something like innovation, courage, determination, faith and wanting to be in the front and not behind drive me and good to see it here.

Best Regards,
Tony Anecito

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:19 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@datastax.com> wrote:

The "run versions >= x.x.6" is IMO an out of date trope. Not only does 2.1 have more than twice as many engineers working full time on it, and five times the QA engineers (which is cumulative with prior QA), we are also seeing many more users in the wild running release candidates and providing valuable feedback before release. This is evidenced by the fact there have been six release candidates, instead of just two for 2.0.

As such, whilst no software is bug free, 2.1.0 is likely to be considerably more stable than 2.0.0.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Posted by Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de>.
Ooops - 1.2.5 to 2.0.9?
You should have first upgraded to (at least) 1.2.9 before upgrade to 2.0.x. See http://www.datastax.com/documentation/upgrade/doc/upgrade/cassandra/upgradeC_c.html

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks again Rebert.

I just upgraded to 2.0.9 from 1.2.5 and had to make some small changes regarding Order By and IN used together. I had to disable paging. The upgrade was easy and worked well so far and hoping if I upgrade to 2.1.x when released I do not have to do any more code changes. I want to upgrade to 2.1 for the 50% performance improvement and hopefully improved stability.

Regards,
-Tony

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:15 PM, Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de> wrote:

50% is the official statement. It depends on the workload and machine capabilities. But AFAIK 50% is a rough estimate.

CQL over the native protocol is generally faster than Thrift. Native protocol also allows the client (e.g. the DataStax Drivers) to get informed about cluster changes (node add/remove/up/down), schema changes, etc. It also allows asynchronous execution of commands and requires just a few TCP connections thus lowering OS resource usage.

Am 20.08.2014 um 23:09 schrieb Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>:

One last question. I read on someones blog that 2.1 will be up to 50% faster than 2.0.9 and that CQL will be the fastest to use rather than thrift. Any comments/thoughts on that?

Re: Latest 2.1 and Datastax driver questions...

Posted by Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de>.

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Many Thanks Robert!

One last question. I read on someones blog that 2.1 will be up to 50% faster than 2.0.9 and that CQL will be the fastest to use rather than thrift. Any comments/thoughts on that?

Thanks,
-Tony

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:03 PM, Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de> wrote:

Am 20.08.2014 um 22:44 schrieb Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>:
When will Cassandra 2.1 be released as GA?

When it's finished :) RC6 has been released yesterday - cross your fingers - this might be 2.1.0

Will there be a datastax CQL driver available then?

Both the Java and Python drivers will get a 2.1.0 release, too (including support for new types, etc) - but some time after the final C* 2.1.0 release.

Will Cassandra 2.1 and Datastax CQL driver support nested selects? If not for a combination key table and detailed table (Star Schema) what is the fastest way to query without using heavy de-normalization?

If you really mean joins: no

Re: Latest 2.1 and Datastax driver questions...

Posted by Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de>.