Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2018/03/18 11:03:39 UTC

Jenkins Build Question

Hi to all,

currently observing things like[1] this in console output:

Branch indexing
Obtained Jenkinsfile from 5e073791f9bb06cae1ed6513c8a5bde24844cf73
Running in Durability level: MAX_SURVIVABILITY
Attempting to resolve master from remote references...
  > git --version # timeout=10
  > git ls-remote -h -t
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git # timeout=10
Found match: refs/heads/master revision
7e5a8d991ba0cfb20727aa995304672a34b631bb
Cloning the remote Git repository
Cloning with configured refspecs honoured and without tags
Cloning repository https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git
  > git init
/x1/jenkins/jenkins-home/jobs/maven-box/jobs/maven-surefire/branches/master/workspace@libs/jenkins-env
# timeout=10
Fetching upstream changes from
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git
  > git --version # timeout=

which gives me the impression that a build is triggered by a branch
indexing...

I would have expected that this should not trigger a build ?

Am I wrong?

@Stephen ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

[1]:
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-surefire/job/master/1/consoleFull

Re: Jenkins Build Question

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
On 18/03/18 12:33, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> On Sun 18 Mar 2018 at 11:24, Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarbaise@gmx.de
> <ma...@gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Oliver,
>
>     On 18/03/18 12:19, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>      > Hi
>      > Just migrated to gitbox so considered as a new job/project here?
>
>     Yes I know but I observed that on other repos as well which are already
>     migrated..nevertheless need to continue to observe this...
>
>     Kind regards
>     Karl Heinz Marbaise
>      >
>      >
>      > On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 at 21:03, Karl Heinz Marbaise
>     <khmarbaise@gmx.de <ma...@gmx.de>> wrote:
>      >
>      >> Hi to all,
>      >>
>      >> currently observing things like[1] this in console output:
>      >>
>      >> Branch indexing
>      >> Obtained Jenkinsfile from 5e073791f9bb06cae1ed6513c8a5bde24844cf73
>      >> Running in Durability level: MAX_SURVIVABILITY
>      >> Attempting to resolve master from remote references...
>      >>    > git --version # timeout=10
>      >>    > git ls-remote -h -t
>      >> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git #
>     timeout=10
>      >> Found match: refs/heads/master revision
>      >> 7e5a8d991ba0cfb20727aa995304672a34b631bb
>      >> Cloning the remote Git repository
>      >> Cloning with configured refspecs honoured and without tags
>      >> Cloning repository
>      >> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git
>      >>    > git init
>      >>
>      >>
>     /x1/jenkins/jenkins-home/jobs/maven-box/jobs/maven-surefire/branches/master/workspace@libs
>      >> /jenkins-env
>      >> # timeout=10
>      >> Fetching upstream changes from
>      >> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git
>      >>    > git --version # timeout=
>      >> ...
>      >>
>      >>
>      >> which gives me the impression that a build is triggered by a branch
>      >> indexing...
>      >>
>      >> I would have expected that this should not trigger a build ?
>      >>
>      >> Am I wrong?
>

> Branch indexing should trigger a build of any valid branch that has a
> revision different from the last build.
>
> Branch indexing is the fall back to handle cases where events were lost.
>
> I recommend running a branch indexing once every 24h (but anything
> between 8h and 72h is probably reasonable... organisation folders
> hardcode child multibranch to 24h currently though)
>
> So if the branch was never built in the multibranch... or if an event
> was lost, then it is expected for indexing to kick in and build the branch

Ah Ok..I thought the indexing is only to identify new branches and build
them..but If you say they are also for catching missed events than it
makes sense...

So the automatic branch indexing should run once a days but if I push a
new branch this will be identified automatically and of course built...

Thanks for your explanations...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Jenkins Build Question

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sun 18 Mar 2018 at 11:24, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> On 18/03/18 12:19, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> > Hi
> > Just migrated to gitbox so considered as a new job/project here?
>
> Yes I know but I observed that on other repos as well which are already
> migrated..nevertheless need to continue to observe this...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
> >

> > On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 at 21:03, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi to all,
> >>
> >> currently observing things like[1] this in console output:
> >>
> >> Branch indexing
> >> Obtained Jenkinsfile from 5e073791f9bb06cae1ed6513c8a5bde24844cf73
> >> Running in Durability level: MAX_SURVIVABILITY
> >> Attempting to resolve master from remote references...
> >>    > git --version # timeout=10
> >>    > git ls-remote -h -t
> >> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git # timeout=10
> >> Found match: refs/heads/master revision
> >> 7e5a8d991ba0cfb20727aa995304672a34b631bb
> >> Cloning the remote Git repository
> >> Cloning with configured refspecs honoured and without tags
> >> Cloning repository
> >> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git
> >>    > git init
> >>

> /x1/jenkins/jenkins-home/jobs/maven-box/jobs/maven-surefire/branches/master/workspace@libs
> >> /jenkins-env
> >> # timeout=10
> >> Fetching upstream changes from
> >> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git
> >>    > git --version # timeout=
> >>

> >> which gives me the impression that a build is triggered by a branch
> >> indexing...
> >>
> >> I would have expected that this should not trigger a build ?
> >>
> >> Am I wrong?

Branch indexing should trigger a build of any valid branch that has a
revision different from the last build.

Branch indexing is the fall back to handle cases where events were lost.

I recommend running a branch indexing once every 24h (but anything between
8h and 72h is probably reasonable... organisation folders hardcode child
multibranch to 24h currently though)

So if the branch was never built in the multibranch... or if an event was
lost, then it is expected for indexing to kick in and build the branch

HTH

> >> @Stephen ?
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> Karl Heinz Marbaise
> >>
> >> [1]:
> >>

> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-surefire/job/master/1/consoleFull

Sent from my phone

Re: Jenkins Build Question

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Oliver,

Re: Jenkins Build Question

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi
Just migrated to gitbox so considered as a new job/project here?

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 at 21:03, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> currently observing things like[1] this in console output:
>
> Branch indexing
> Obtained Jenkinsfile from 5e073791f9bb06cae1ed6513c8a5bde24844cf73
> Running in Durability level: MAX_SURVIVABILITY
> Attempting to resolve master from remote references...
>   > git --version # timeout=10
>   > git ls-remote -h -t
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git # timeout=10
> Found match: refs/heads/master revision
> 7e5a8d991ba0cfb20727aa995304672a34b631bb
> Cloning the remote Git repository
> Cloning with configured refspecs honoured and without tags
> Cloning repository
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git
>   > git init
>
> /x1/jenkins/jenkins-home/jobs/maven-box/jobs/maven-surefire/branches/master/workspace@libs
> /jenkins-env
> # timeout=10
> Fetching upstream changes from
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-jenkins-env.git
>   > git --version # timeout=
>

> which gives me the impression that a build is triggered by a branch
> indexing...
>
> I would have expected that this should not trigger a build ?
>
> Am I wrong?
>
> @Stephen ?
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise