Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Siefert, David" <ds...@playboy.com> on 2009/12/18 20:44:36 UTC

merge does not allow --accept argument

Hi All,

I am using Subversion 1.6.5 r38866 on Ubuntu 9.10 (my $SHELL is /bin/bash).  Trying to use merge and have it automatically accept my changes during conflicts by issuing:
	svn merge --accept mine-full -c 12345 https://repository/branches/blah/blah/blah
also tried the following variants:
	# based on svn help resolve (uses = in accept argument)
	svn merge --accept=mine-full -c 12345 https://repository/branches/blah/blah/blah

	# trying with single quotes as listed in svn help merge
	svn merge --accept='mine-full' -c 12345 https://repository/branches/blah/blah/blah

	# trying same as beginning, but with single quotes
	svn merge --accept 'mine-full' -c 12345 https://repository/branches/blah/blah/blah
with no luck.

What is supposed to work?

Thanks in advance,
David

Re: merge does not allow --accept argument

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 04:39:23PM -0500, Bob Archer wrote:
> Ok, I'm gonna go out here on a limb (get it tree conflict, limb,
> anyway) and say that auto conflict resolution doesn't apply to a tree
> conflict. I think to resolve a tree conflict you have to manually make
> the tree in the merge target match the merge source. I don't think svn
> can or will do that for you automatically.

That is correct. Right now, svn can *detect* tree conflicts.
Resolving them automatically is another can of worms, and it may not
be possible at all to auto-resolve some of the more complicated kinds
of tree conflicts.

But we are starting to look into it, see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-dev/200912.mbox/%3C20091202075300.GB7072@daniel-laptop%3E

Stefan

RE: merge does not allow --accept argument

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

BOb

RE: merge does not allow --accept argument

Posted by "Siefert, David" <ds...@playboy.com>.

Thanks,

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.