Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2003/07/01 08:11:56 UTC

Re: Link Livesites: http://www.ctg.albany.edu

Joerg

I was browsing the white paper referred to; in
http://www.ctg.albany.edu/publications/reports/xml?chapter=9
it mentions that XML files are "connected" to XSL files
by placing links to the stylesheets at the top of the XML
files.  It then goes on to say:

"This significantly simplifies content management because it
enables you to make changes to only one content file and
make no changes to the stylesheets because the content
is totally separated from the presentation.

Figure 8 illustrates how these XML/XSL transformations occur
within the Cocoon publishing framework.  "

This is a little misleading and underplays the true value
added by Cocoon in completely separating content from
presentation - the "connections" happen in the sitemap;
there is no need to specify  stylesheets in your XML files;
as soon as you do this you are implicitly mixing content
and presentation.

If you are able, I think some changes would help
clarify the situation.

Regards
Derek

>>> joerg.heinicke@gmx.de 30/06/2003 10:03:04 >>>
We had it already on the list last week, here is the official
announcement. I have added the link in the CVS.

Joerg

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hello Derek,

yes, that's obviously misleading. But I'm not related to this page.
After the mention on this list last week I only asked them to be listed
on Cocoon's Livesites page and Jim Costello sent me this mail below. I
added the link in the CVS and forwarded this mail, especially because of
the impressive figures.
Now the report: It's the typical Cocoon 1.x handling using processing
instructions. But I don't know if they wrote their own component
handling processing instructions or if the report is outdated or simlpy
wrong. The X-Cocoon header clearly states that they use Cocoon 2.0.4,
but he also wrote (in the mail below) that they still have Cocoon 1.x in
use for a part of their homepage.
I'm cc-ing Jim Costello, so he can read and clarify your objections.

Regards,

Joerg