Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com> on 2009/10/12 00:23:22 UTC

FYI - problems rendering search results

To Whoever Maintains the Demo Server:

http://demo.ofbiz.org/ecommerce

Try searching on GZ-BASKET and observe the results. Quick synopsis of
problem: The first entry is rendered properly but then the subsequent
results fall below both side bar columns (regardless of how I resize my
browser.) I can't capture a screen shot of this because I am not able to
display all entries within the bounds of my 15" display.

I'm using Firefox 3.5.3 on a MAC 10.4

Regards,
Ruth
Ruth Hoffman, Author, Mentor & OFBiz Enthusiast
Ruth.Hoffman@myofbiz.com
Looking for more OFBiz info, please visit my website: http://www.myofbiz.com

Re: FYI - problems rendering search results

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Ruth,

From: "Ruth Hoffman" <rh...@aesolves.com>
> Hi Jacques:
> First, thanks for engaging in this discussion. As an outsider who really cares about OFBiz, I find it disheartening that the
> project as a whole does not have enough pride in ownership to at least validate basic user facing components. I understand the
> project is growing and that is a good thing. But I caution everyone, bigger (and more) is not always better.

I plenty agree. On the other hand OFBiz OOTB is plenty of stuff because it's intended to demonstrate and show all its possibilities.

> While discouraged I'm not going to stop promoting and using OFBiz. IMHO, it is still unrivaled. These are but surface problems
> that need attention - sooner rather than later. Since I am an outsider, this list is one of the few mediums I have for voicing my
> concerns. Sometimes, however, I feel as though I'm "spitting in the wind".
>
> Second, I applaud all the work you and others have contributed towards the betterment of the project. I continue to be amazed at
> the dedication and commitment of many of the developers - you included!

Thank you for us!

> Third, I have no problem with filing Jira issues. I have filed several in the past. However, IMHO that is not going to solve this
> particular problem. Neither is going back through the commits (as David suggests) to identify the problematic code. IMHO, there is
> something fundamentally wrong possibly with the planning process or the manner in which commits are filed. I don't know.

I think Ryan answered you. Filling Jira issues is really the best way to progress.
Remember it's a community driven project where nobody has the power to decide alone.
We need to make community decisions. For that we need to organize how to make these decisions.

> Code validation and regression testing is a complex process that needs to be addressed with some rigor if the community ever
> expects to move ahead. I am available to help in anyway I can. But, I don't see much discussion or activity in this direction.

You are welcome, if you have ideas about how to organize that.
Put your green hat on (but please don't say "I don't know", I'm sure you know something ;o)

> As for your comment concerning the themes to use: my original comments were directed towards the online demo which, if there is a
> way to change the ecommerce product listing theme, it is not well advertised.

Right, but I believe there is currently no real alternative on the eCommerce side

> Finally, I welcome any further discussion on quality control and testing as I really do believe that OFBiz rocks! I want to see it
> take its proper place in the world :-)

There are currently such efforts with Selenium, did you follow them ?

Thanks

Jacques

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hello Ryan, Jacques:
That is correct. I was referring to the ecommerce demo.

Again, thanks for engaging in this discussion.

That Anil is leading an initiative to clean up user facing components is
good news indeed!

I am keenly aware of the issues facing front-end developers. IMHO, one
of OFBiz's strengths is that the framework makes back-end development
relatively pain free. Relative to front-end development that is. I spend
much more time on front-end work whenever I implement a new project.
But, I'm willing to do this because I know with total conviction that
the back-end won't let me down. Thanks David, Andy, Jacques  and
everyone else who have made this possible!

Regards,
Ruth

Posted by Ryan Foster <ry...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Jacques:

From: "Ruth Hoffman" <rh...@aesolves.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
David,

I  began to wrote something about some of the aspects explained in your message.
But I had to stop because it was not even neutral, but too much negative (I'm a rebel ;o)
So thank you for this objective point of view and positive explanation!

Jacques

From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.