Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org> on 2023/06/05 22:07:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] time to create daffodil 3.5.0 release?

All critical and blocker type bugs have been fixed including a couple quite
challenging ones in the last few weeks.

I think it is time to create an RC for 3.5.0.

Please discuss through 6pm EDT.US on Thursday June 8. (72 hours) and if
favorable we'll figure out who gets to create the RC.

-mikeb

Mike Beckerle
Apache Daffodil PMC | daffodil.apache.org
OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | www.ogf.org/ogf/doku.php/standards/dfdl/dfdl
Owl Cyber Defense | www.owlcyberdefense.com

RE: [DISCUSS] time to create daffodil 3.5.0 release?

Posted by "Interrante, John A (GE Aerospace, US)" <Jo...@ge.com>.
I would like to throw in another daffodil-codegen-c change before we release 3.5.0/4.0.0.  The change has already been in use locally for a while; I just hadn't gotten around to writing a unit test, creating a JIRA issue number, and submitting a PR yet.  The unit test is done and I'll submit the PR very soon.

John

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
Actually, I've since found two bugs related to the IBM DFDL crosstester
that I think should be fixed:

DAFFODIL-2820: GeneralFormatPortable isn't actually portable due to
emptyElementParsePolicy

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-2820:

DAFFODIL-2813: Schematron URIResolver uses Classpath rather than
Daffodil Resolver

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-2813

The first is needed to do any IBM DFDL cross testing with schemas that
use GeneralFormat (which is alot). I have a simple fix for that, but it
has a regression tha requires the second to be fixed. I hope to have a
fix and get them into code review today.

- Steve

On 2023-06-12 09:57 AM, Mike Beckerle wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> * DAFFODIL-2158: We changed behavior of textNumberCheckPolicy="strict"
>> so that the pattern is used to determine if a decimal point must exist
>> or not. For example, if text numbers are integers without a decimal, the
>> pattern should not contain a decimal. I believe this was just a bug in
>> Daffodil, and schema authors should update their schemas to either use a
>> lax policy or use a pattern that correctly matches their data.
>>
>> * DAFFODIL-2818: A regression related to parsing negative zero was found
>> and fixed. This bug was created and fixed in 3.5.0.
>>
>> * DAFFODIL-2607: Diagnostics were modified/improved when an enumeration
>> key was not found, which some tests checked for. The tests either need
>> to be less specific or check for the new error message. I don't think we
>> make a guarantee that diagnostics will not change.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> The following changes were required due to Scala/Java API changes, but
>> those went through a deprecation process and were removed prior to
>> 3.5.0. Because it was prior to 3.5.0, I have not looked into exactly
>> which prior release the changes occurred:
>>
>> * If validation errors are created by a parse but no validation errors
>> are listed in a TDML test cases, the TDML test fails. I am actually not
>> sure if this is a change to Daffodil behavior or if depedent schema
>> update just included new validation checks that now create errors. This
>> may be a schema regression and not a Daffodil regression.
>>
>> * Some formats had custom tests that use an old Scala/Java API before
>> the introduction of InputSourceInputDataStream. This must be updated to
>> use the new API.
>>
>> * The setValidateDFDLSchemas function was removed from the Compiler
>> class, which a few classes used to enable schema validation. Schemas are
>> now always validated and the Java/Scala API does not have a way to
>> disable this.
>>
>> * The setDistinguishedRootNode function was removed from the Compiler
>> class. Instead the root node should be passed as a parameter to the
>> compileSource/File function, or withDistinguishedRootNode should be used
>> on the ProcessorFactory.
>>
>> * The ParseResult.isAtEnd function was removed from the ParseResult
>> class. Instead, the InputSourceDataInputStream.hasData function should
>> be used.
>>
>> * A number of test suites still use the old tdml.DFDLTestSuite instead
>> of the new tdml.Runner.
>>

>> On 2023-06-06 07:42 PM, Mike Beckerle wrote:
>>> Topic: Should this be version 4.0.0, not 3.5.0?
>>>
>>> The OGSI-package-name-changes have broken many schemas because the test
>>> rigs used Daffodil internals, and some deprecated things were finally
>>> removed in the current 3.5.0 snapshot.
>>>
>>> But as a result, these schemas, many of which are non-public, but
>>> nevertheless can be counted, a long list, which used to work, don't work
>>> any more.
>>> It's possible there are false-negatives here. Nevertheless it is a long

>>> [fail] (11/62) dfdl-examples-hexwords
>>> [fail] (12/62) dfdl-examples-self-descriptive-data
>>> [fail] (13/62) dfdl-examples-xslt-csv
>>> [fail] (22/62) dfdl-imf-icalendar-cse
>>> [fail] (23/62) dfdl-ipf-demo
>>> [fail] (29/62) dfdl-jpeg2000
>>> [fail] (30/62) dfdl-jreap
>>> [fail] (34/62) dfdl-mil-std-2045
>>> [fail] (38/62) dfdl-nitf
>>> [fail] (42/62) dfdl-plc4x-s7
>>> [fail] (43/62) dfdl-png
>>> [fail] (46/62) dfdl-raster
>>> [fail] (49/62) dfdl-stanag-5516
>>> [fail] (50/62) dfdl-stanag-5516-with-nact
>>> [fail] (53/62) dfdl-usmtf
>>> [fail] (54/62) dfdl-usmtf-generic
>>> [fail] (57/62) dfdl-vmf
>>> [fail] (59/62) dfdl-vmf-spock

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
I'm currently going through the regression suite and making changes to
get all the tests to pass.

I think one problem is many of these schemas haven't been update in a
real long time, in some cases since daffodil 2.6.0. Some of the things
that have been removed went through a reasonable deprecation process and
are very minor changes now hat they've been removed.

I'll send a report of all the changes that I find to get the schemas
working with 3.5.0 and see if that helps determine if 4.0.0 is more
appropriate or 3.5.0 is fine.

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.