Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Vijay <vj...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/14 21:06:34 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: WELCOME to users@httpd.apache.org

Hi,

I am looking forward to some suggstions from this user group on how to add
ssl module to existing apache2.0.55 server.

I have an existing Apache2.0.55 installation and would like to add
SSL  functionality.
httpd -l shows mod_ssl module not installed.

I am trying understand how I can add mod_ssl to existing apache
(without having to compile whole apache instance)

I used DSO (apxs) and was able to compile the module.
However when I start Apache I see :
Syntax error on line 261 of /Apache/platform/apache-2.0.55/conf/
httpd.conf:
Cannot load /Apache/platform/apache-2.0.55/modules/mod_ssl.so into
server: ld.so.1: httpd: fatal: relocation error: file /Apache/platform/
apache-2.0.55/modules/mod_ssl.so: symbol ssl_hook_Fixup: referenced
symbol not found

What is the best way to add ssl module (mod_ssl) to existing apache
installation without having to redo the complete apache compilation?

Appreciate any insight into this.

Thanks,

Vijay

RE: [users@httpd] Re: WELCOME to users@httpd.apache.org (UNCLASSIFIED)

Posted by "French, Warron S CTR DISA NS" <Wa...@disa.mil>.
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Since I am dealing with an exact match of a problem but noone has responded,
I have to ask....

How do you install mod_ssl since there were no steps to do a "make and make
install" in the INSTALL file in the mod_ssl source tarball?

Warron French, SCSA

----------------
Posted by Vasanth Kumar ravi <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Regards&Thanks,
Vasanth Kumar Ravi

Re: [users@httpd] Re: WELCOME to users@httpd.apache.org (UNCLASSIFIED)

Posted by Paul Doubek <pd...@xmission.com>.
morgan gangwere wrote:

> No problems. I however would note 2 basic trends i've observed:
> private posting is considered "bad" and i'd hope the DoD can provide
> valid digital signatures to the people who work for them :3

Well, then... I have to apologize publicly for the private post, and I
will follow the "norm" of this list going forward. I know the guidelines
said don't ask privately for help and don't expect a private response,
but I didn't think my response to your post was of interest to the list
subscribers. Again, I apologize and I'll keep in line. I can't speak for
the DoD and their digital signatures, though! :)

Paul

Re: [users@httpd] Re: WELCOME to users@httpd.apache.org (UNCLASSIFIED)

Posted by morgan gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Paul Doubek <pd...@xmission.com> wrote:
> Hey Morgan... was this in response to my registering with the mail list?  I
> wasn't sure, but it seemed like the timing was more than coincidence! :) Is
> it preferred that I use a different mail client for the list? I try to be
> sensitive to the "norms" of new lists, forums, and newsgroups that I join.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Doubek
> pdoubek@xmission.com

No problems. I however would note 2 basic trends i've observed:
private posting is considered "bad" and i'd hope the DoD can provide
valid digital signatures to the people who work for them :3

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: WELCOME to users@httpd.apache.org (UNCLASSIFIED)

Posted by Morgan Gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.

> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE

On a slightly unrelated note, Thunderbird doesnt like the DoD's digital
signature. Pass it on :)

--
Morgan Gangwere

Unknown Software
http://sonof.bandit.name/
Member INCOSE [ http://incose.org ] PACA [ http://paca.org ]
New Mexico .NET User Group [ http://nmug.net ]

"When C++ is your hammer, Everything looks like your thumb"
	"C gives you all the things you need to shoot yourself in the foot. C++
hands you the loaded gun and handholds you all the way"
		-- Theo DeRatte ( on C++ )

RE: [users@httpd] Re: WELCOME to users@httpd.apache.org (UNCLASSIFIED)

Posted by "French, Warron S CTR DISA NS" <Wa...@disa.mil>.
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Vijay, I had a similar problem with Apache_1.3.41.  Only my problem didn't
reference any mod_ssl.so  file at all.

I recompiled twice (as my posting from Friday states all the details) and
got two different errors, but they were similar in format to your error as
well.

Can you tell me did you see any email with the subject "
Apache+modssl+openssl compiling" because I have ONLY seen my email and no
response at all.

Warron French, SCSA