Posted to fop-commits@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/02/09 12:37:02 UTC

[Xmlgraphics-fop Wiki] Update of "WhitespaceManagement" by VincentHennebert

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Xmlgraphics-fop Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by VincentHennebert:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/WhitespaceManagement

The comment on the change is:
Thoughts about combinatorial explosion and best-fit strategy

  The general situation in which the alternative blocks could be broken seems quite similar to the MultiLayoutSequence one. [LF]

+ [VH] Unless I missed something this will work only if the min/opt/max of the several alternatives are overlapping. If each alternative has only a fixed length, you can't create a min/opt/max representing them, because glue is a continuous value (not a discrete one). Suppose you have 3 alternatives of fixed lengths 8, 10 and 12. You can't simply create a min/opt/max of 8/10/12: what if the glue is stretched so that the block ends up having a size of 11? There is no suitable alternative for such a length.
+
+ However, if the situation is similar to the one on the picture below, it becomes possible to create a combining min/opt/max:
+
+  http://people.apache.org/~vhennebert/wiki/WhiteSpaceManagement/whiteSpaceManagement.png
+
+ If this is not the case, I don't see any other possibility than computing break points once for each alternative... which will quickly lead to combinatorial explosion. If we implemented a best-fit strategy in addition to the current total-fit one, we could reduce the complexity a lot by making a decision at the end of each page. Anyway, it seems to me that this whole approach has an interest only with a best-fit strategy.
+